Distortion with Invader pole pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion with Invader pole pieces

Anyone tried this? If so, how does it sound. I have a DD in my SG. I love it but its a big pickgaurd SG and the pickup doesn't sit parallel with the strings. To compensate I raise the pole pieces up to try to get them at about the same distance from the strings as the slug side. I just thought that maybe invader pole pieces would look a lot better.
    Last edited by XPAULPITT; 02-22-2014, 08:39 PM.

Re: Distortion with Invader pole pieces

They won't fit, the screws are larger. You can try going to a hardware store and take a screw (or the pickup) to see if you can find one that'd fit.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I don't know if this answers your question, but I thought the Duncan Designed Detonator was a Distortion wind with Invader polepieces. That may be something to check out.
      1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
        They won't fit, the screws are larger. You can try going to a hardware store and take a screw (or the pickup) to see if you can find one that'd fit.
        Thanks. I didn't know they were bigger. I will probably go get some button head allen screws and try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by synzzzer View Post
          I don't know if this answers your question, but I thought the Duncan Designed Detonator was a Distortion wind with Invader polepieces. That may be something to check out.
          I thought this aswell, and have heard really good stuff about them
          -IM

Comment

Yup, that is correct. It hits the front of the amp like a sledgehammer.
            My Blog: thisismyhatnow.blogspot.com

Originally posted by kevlar3000
            The smoker is great at adding a few decades, kinda like having Keith Richards breathe on yer guitar for a few hours...
            Originally posted by CTN
            I will kill you. Then I will resuscitate you, so you can watch me steal your new Tokai and play some horrible sounding ultra-dissonant death metal on it, then I will kill you again.
            FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! DC RESISTANCE DOES NOT DETERMINE ACTUAL OUTPUT OF A PICKUP.

Comment

And it becomes magical with an A8 magnet.

AND it's TB spaced.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Mine is a TB but I only want to try the allen heads on the one bobbin.

Comment

You have to remove the slugs on a distortion. Then it will fit. I got great results using hex threaded inserts. Bit more conventional esthetics than thos3 humongous invader poles. Imho those poles work best with that triple mag setup of the invader.

Comment

Noticed that Keith Merrow had done this very same thing with one of his pickups. He posted about it on his page sometime last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADADA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	5776210
                    Last edited by Scott Olson; 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XPAULPITT View Post
                      Anyone tried this? If so, how does it sound. I have a DD in my SG. I love it but its a big pickgaurd SG and the pickup doesn't sit parallel with the strings. To compensate I raise the pole pieces up to try to get them at about the same distance from the strings as the slug side. I just thought that maybe invader pole pieces would look a lot better.
                      Simple answer, MJ custom shop. I did, she made me a killer pickup, and the result was a DD variant I called 'Tyrannotitan'. Since then, Nov 2012, I have stopped buying bridge pickups cause I have my killer Thrash Metal sound. So get MJ to make your dream DD with the invade pole pieces!!!!
                      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
                        Noticed that Keith Merrow had done this very same thing with one of his pickups. He posted about it on his page sometime last year.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51368[/ATTACH]

that's cool!

Comment

FWIW because the Invader pole pieces are thick all the way down, (10-32 thread?) they need slug bobbins, or for the screw bobbin to be drilled out and the spacer removed. An easier conversion would be to start with an Invader, and remove the two extra side magnets. But even then it is best to insert a humbucker spacer tipped on its side where the side magnets used to be.

Comment

Yep, start with an Invader, pull out the spacer mags and replace them with plastic spacers.

Or just get a Detonator, which is already what you're looking for and only costs $30. It's the best $30 pickup you'll ever hear.

Comment

Working...
                            X