Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a zillion posts, no answer, problem caused

I'll try to be short,
    got 2 double white pups. didn't notice logo till i got home. read every post. tried everything on old s. coil white cover and all left smudge except acetone. I know acetone melts almost all plastics. however, it was good on s. c. cover. so, tried a touch on side of BOBBIN and plastic melted and left a smudge. re-read all posts and doubt S.Duncan would exchange that one now. Will try Novus brand plastic polish. so- do you guys who know think they'll take it back if novus doesn't work?
    it is for an all white strat and logo (which i don't normally mind-does stick out). so some covers take acetone, bobbins don't. if S.D. won't take back, any real solutions for bobbin plastic that will polish up nice and shiny. after all those threads, it was never really clear whether it was sc cover or bobbin plastic that was discussed.
    not trying to restart old thread, maybe find a NEW answer.
    steve help

Re: a zillion posts, no answer, problem caused

How about buying plain white covers

Comment

Some guys like brasso.
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

No offense intended again, but kinda off topic*
        Where do you get plain white covers, and do they look good? It seems they would sit on TOP of the others and look UNNATURAL, but thanks for the post. *my question is about fixing what I have, and S.Duncan taking back a very slighty smudged bobbin.
        steve
        Last edited by SJ318; 02-23-2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

thanks for reply, no offense intended, but -
          I tried a metal polish, and it seems similar to brasso in make up. is brasso different somehow?. getting of topic, metal polish didn't work and will S.D. help me with a trade in w/small damage. I would like to know what to expect hen I call.
          steve
          Last edited by SJ318; 02-23-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. You can use a cotton tip applicator (q-tip) or a Drexel with the felt pad on very low and with a very light touch.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

To darthphineas-
              thanks for replying- is mothers mag & Alum. polish different than the other metal polishers? and did you use it on a "cover"-which takes a beating or on a "bobbin" which is a very soft type of plastic. nail polish is basically acetone, and after working on plastic frames for 20 years as an optician only a very few could tolerate acetone. I did find on-line a product called Novus plastic scratch remover-anyone tried that besides the 1 person in all the posts who did? really not trying to start a re-hashed post, just looking for things not before mentioned and Duncan's likely response.
              thanks - steve

Comment

Though I do not represent the company, I would say that since you damaged the bobbin in the attempt, it would be uncouth of you to attempt to return the pickup, and it's bad form to continue asking here if they will take it back. Personally, I wouldn't take it back after that. To you it may be "a very teeny tiny little bitty smudge the size of a pin point" but people tend to exaggerate so they can get what they want (i.e. it's really about 1/4" in diameter and very noticeable).

Returns have to be efficiently repackaged and re-sold to minimize loss of profit, and I doubt they'd be interested in rewinding the pickup and re-using everything except the bobbin you damaged. It's also unlikely they'd simply stick a cover on it, because the next customer who gets it may decide to take off the cover only to find a ruined bobbin.
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

The Novus plastic polish does work good. Not sure why you couldn't find it. It showed up in a bunch of places for me in a Google search.

Novus-Polish-Plastic-Scratch-Remover

Comment

Working...
                  X