X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with guitar pickup selection

Hello friends!
    I have a Fender Stratocaster SSS. I wish I got a HSS, but whatever. Anyways, I have a question: would a JB Jr. pickup @ the bridge be a good pickup to achieve a Nirvana sound? If not, could you direct me to a single-coiled sized pickup that would be better than the one stated therein?

JB Jr: http://bit.ly/OrB1o2

I appreciate all responses, and have a great day!

Re: Help with guitar pickup selection

I heard Kurt used JB in his '65 Jaguar.

Comment

Elelpe: Thank you for the response, but the problem is that the SD JB is a humbucker, whereas my pick guard has only single-coil slots; to summarize: I want a single-coiled sized pickup that will be like a humbucker that sounds like Nirvana.

Comment

Extra info: Fender Stratocaster SSS, alder(?) body and maple fingerboard.

Comment

JB junior or single coil sized Super Distortion. Kurt used both in humbucker form. I believ he had a single coil SD in a tele towards the end of his life but I could be mistaken. Otherwise turn your amp up to the point where it's about to die and hit it with a distortion/fuzz pedal. Also, buy a small clone
           Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Big Flannel: thank you, I've arrived to that conclusion. JB Jr. or SD S are just my two options im pretty sure now. Also, I'm planning to get a Boss DS-2, so already ahead of you thank you! Never heard of small clone but I'll look into it!

Comment

You could unscrew the pickguard and see if the strat is already routed for a humbucker bridge. Most modern ones have a bridge and neck route that will accept both humbuckers and single coils. That way you just need to buy a new pickguard if you want to try a traditional sized humbucker.

I think Kurt was supposed to use a Dimarzio Super Distortion, but a hot bridge humbucker would probably get you in the ballpark. A JB or Custom would get you there.

You'll want a clean fenderish amp and jump on a boss DS1 or DS2 for the heavy bits.

Comment

Thank you. I'm not sure how to do that, but I will definitely research. I might turn this in to a JB vs. Super D thread... haha

Question to any passerbyer: how do you know that your strat has a HSS configuration? (btw i want to put it in to the bridge)
                Last edited by Username0; 02-23-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Not to derail the pickup topic, but the small clone is the chorus pedal that Kurt used. If you listen to the opening riff on Come as You Are, you'll hear it plain as day. It's made by Electro Harmonix.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

And you unscrew the pickguard to see if its HB routed.

Comment

Alright, so for the configuration: when I unscrew the pickguard, how will I know that it is already configured for a HSS? The pickguard itself isn't big enough to hold a hb, so does that immediately discredits the assumption that it already is configured for a hb? Thank you guys i realize im a little slow at this stuff... but thank you.

Comment

Its ok. After you remove the pickguard you'll be able to tell by the size of the cavity. If it's a single coil sized hole, its SC rout. If it's bigger, it's HB.

Comment

ONE MORE QUESTION AND THEN CLOSING:
                          *drumroll*
                          So, if it turns out my strat is HSS routed, then I'll have to get a HSS pickguard, since the pickguard i have right now would be too small for a hb, right? Thanks to everyone so much!

Comment

Yes, or you could rout it.

Comment

Thank you to all! officially CLOZED

Comment

Working...
                              X