Changing pickup posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickup posts

So I think I know the answers but I figure I may as well ask the gurus before I start. I am taking the T.V. Jones Classic Plus out of the bridge of my silver Iceman and putting the original '80 V4 pickup back in it. The pickup is beat to hell and I want that guitar to keep it's "pop". I bought a cover for the pickup but the pole pieces are rusted badly.
    • Is changing the poles as simple as unscrewing them and screwing in new ones?
    • Will new poles affect the tone of the pickup (In a major way)?
    • Is there anything I should know before doing this?
    • Where is the best place to get new poles?

The T.V. Jones Classic Plus is going in the neck of my Tele. I like the pickup but it is not a every song type of sound for me. I think I will like it better in a two pickup guitar.

Re: Changing pickup posts

the poles are made of an alloy. new poles will affect the tone of the pickup if you don't get the same alloy. you may or may not want that. it's up to you. there are a few options out there for the alloy. some companies might use one type or another or both or whatever. so I'm not getting what I've been seeing lately where some guys are suggesting getting pole pieces from the hardware store...might be an interesting experiment, but I'm not clear if what you find at Lowe's be anywhere near the same thing as what you'll get from a place that sells poles intended for pickups.

your best bet is to get with the pickup manufacturer and see if they will send you new screws or replace them for you. DiMarzio will send you a set for a few bucks, just call them. other companies may think their mojo is too strong. don't know until you ask. and then there are the usual suspects, like mojotone and stewmac and addiction-fx and so on.

if they are the screws, it just might be that simple. I'd personally not mess with the slugs. but, hey, it's your pickup.

Comment

Different alloys will have different magnetic properties thus a huge impact on tone. Got it. Thanks, I will live with the rust the pickup sounds killer. I doubt Ibanez or anyone will have the same polepieces from '80.

Comment

I think a good idea would be to get some of that rust remover stuff they have for sale at Lowes, etc. Some of that stuff works very well. I'd just be careful not to let the rust remover mess up the plastic.

Remove a lot of rust from the pickups and polish them up. The pickup ring screws can probably be replaced. The whole clean up should work out very well and give the guitar a great new look without messing up the tone at all.
        Also, rusty or partially corroded pole pieces could look great and give the guitar a great antiquated vibe.

Good luck with it. I'm going to try at least one Antiquities pickup and see what I think. My initial suspicion is that I will like the look a great deal.
        "Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.

Comment

If I were to use rust remover, I would in no way get that stuff close to my pickup that I want to keep. I'm not that confident in my abilities to keep it off of other parts. I've done crap like that and messed stuff up. The only way I'd use it were if I removed the screws from the pickup and clean them away from it.
          "Believe the word, I will unlock my door and pass the cemetery gates"

Comment

^ Absolutely. You'd be crazy to put that stuff on your pup, especially if you value it.

Take out the screws, clean them up, rinse and dry them thoroughly, put them back in the pup.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X