banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has your experience been like mixing ceramics with alnicos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What has your experience been like mixing ceramics with alnicos?

My Charvel So Cal has a ceramic neck (EVO) with an Alnico bridge (Tone Zone). They play nicely together, and sound great combined and split.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but one of the best combos I've found is a 59 (A5) neck, and a Distortion (Cer.) bridge.
      I also have a Schaller Golden 50 neck (A5) and a S.D. Custom (Cer.) in the bridge. That combo is just awesome.

That's kind how they would mod in the 70's when replacement pickups first came out. They would leave the neck pickup (usually A2 or A5) in the neck, and get a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. There's a lot of rock n' roll recorded with that kind of set-up.
      1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

just put a Seth Lovers SH-55 in Neck position in my bottom of the line Ibanez Jazz guitar, the factory bridge pickup is a ceramic ibanez ACH-1. In middle position they donīt seem to combine very nicely, is there something about mixing Alnico IIīs with Ceramics ? ....some phase change ? thanx

Comment

You need to read Frank Falbo's post. I'm a bit surprised actually that you posted in this thread without actually reading it first.

What you have there is two pickups that don't combine well, in that particular guitar.

Comment

Most of my guitars are A2/Ceramic combos.

It has less to do with the magnets, IMO, than the actual pickup overall. Example: A 59 neck will go great with a Distortion, or a Custom, but for different reasons.

And of course, there is how you use it. I generally end up using the bridge ceramic volume to blend in just the right amount of extra bite & balls for the neck.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
            X