Just got an Alnico II Pro neck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just got an Alnico II Pro neck...

It is a great pickup set. And it's amazing to me how different it sounds with 50's wiring vs. modern wiring - like a different pickup set!

Sounds great either way but it gets a nice grit on top with 50's wiring. Sounds fatter with modern wiring.

The difference is dramatic though.

Same is true of the Pearly Gates set.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

BTW, the AII Pro set is actually the Duncan Jazz.

Same pickups.

Only diff is alnico 2 in the AII Pro and Alnico 5 in the Jazz.

Comment

Very bluesy clean tone. Warm but clear. I love diming the gain on my amp then rolling off the neck pickup volume to get a break up tone to a slight crunch for blues.
        1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
        1992 Fernandes Telecaster
        2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
        2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
        2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
        2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
        Friedman Runt 50

Comment

And I opted for modern with treble bleed... is it that different with 50s?

Comment

Originally posted by ram_man View Post
            And I opted for modern with treble bleed... is it that different with 50s?
            Yes, it is. The '50s mod keeps the p'up's tone the same when using the volume control, the treble bleed mod acts as a High-Pass filter, making the p'ups brighter the more the volume control is reduced.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              Yes, it is. The '50s mod keeps the p'up's tone the same when using the volume control, the treble bleed mod acts as a High-Pass filter, making the p'ups brighter the more the volume control is reduced.

HTH,
              Sorry if it appears I've 'hyjacked this thread, just perked up my interest as there never seems to be much talk about the A2pro.

Right then, I'll dust off the soldering iron, take out the bleed and pop the tone output over..

Comment

Originally posted by ram_man View Post
                Sorry if it appears I've 'hyjacked this thread, just perked up my interest as there never seems to be much talk about the A2pro.

Right then, I'll dust off the soldering iron, take out the bleed and pop the tone output over..
                Remove the treble bleed and play the guitar a lot to get that sound in your head first.

Then move the tone cap over for the 50's mod and try that.

I'll be very curious as to what you hear.

To me, the 50's mod makes the whole guitar brighter and a little more sizzly/grainy all the time - and the modern wiring makes the whole guitar sound thicker and fuller all the time.

The two wiring methods (50's vs. modern) do sound quite different - even with the volume full up on the guitar.

Both methods sound good and have their place.
                Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks Lew, will do and I'll start a new thread all about it - somewhere around 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    I like A2P's a lot. I think they're definitely better than PG's, which seem to get so much fanfare.
                    Really? Seriously?
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by cayle_6 View Post
                      Installed it in my PRS SE Bernie Marsden and it sounds awesome! I was torn between the 59, A2Pro and Slash A2Pro but I went with the regular A2Pro with nickel covers. I has the warmth and clarity that I was searching for. I paired it with a Mike Turk Hot 59 bridge pickup. They're a match made in tonal heaven!

I've always thought these Bernies look awesome with covered pups. I was just listening to Slash's 2010 album and man did he record some of the best rock tones I've ever heard on that record. I like some of these sounds way more than the Appetite tone (Ghost!!). I'm betting the A2 sounds amazing in that PRS, sweet ride!
                      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Really? Seriously?
                        Very serious, much better.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                          Remove the treble bleed and play the guitar a lot to get that sound in your head first.

Then move the tone cap over for the 50's mod and try that.

I'll be very curious as to what you hear.

To me, the 50's mod makes the whole guitar brighter and a little more sizzly/grainy all the time - and the modern wiring makes the whole guitar sound thicker and fuller all the time.

To the, the two wiring methods (50's vs. modern) do sound quite different - even with the volume full up on the guitar.

Both methods sound good and have their place.

Tried again with the A2pro set (with PRS Treble bleed 180pf cap only), sounds to me that it works really well, modern wiring sounding fat and naturally sounds cleaner as you roll down. Tone cap is .01uf and sounds great at any setting, never too dark.

Couldn't get myself to cut the treble cap out, may go straight to vintage wiring, just thought I'd update you

Comment

Honestly, any A2 pickup is much too dark and muddy. The bottom is too loose, there are not enough highs and hum buckers are already dark. On top of that, the neck is really the wrong spot for a pickup with an A2 magnet.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That's a great pick up in the neck position. It just sounds "right" to me. I''ve had one in my Hamer forever and just make it my neck pick up in all of my guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5 View Post
                                That's a great pick up in the neck position. It just sounds "right" to me. I''ve had one in my Hamer forever and just make it my neck pick up in all of my guitars.
                                Agreed

Comment

Working...
                                X