Neck Output Problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Output Problem.....

While at rehearsal a couple weeks ago, I switched to my neck pup and noticed the volume was about half as loud as normal/before.

Calibrated DMZ PAF 36th Anniversary set in an '84 LPC. Push-pull pots (up=split).

Since they were originally installed, the neck pup had been already pretty low -- almost flush with the pup ring -- as the volume would overpower the bridge pup otherwise; then one day -- poof -- half the output.

Any idea what would cause the volume to be virtually cut in half...??
    Band is going into the studio in 2 weeks to lay down rhythm track so I need to get this fixed asap.

----------

EDIT: Neck pup problem solved. See post #6 for toggle switch issue
    Last edited by Frogman; 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM.

Re: Neck Output Problem.....

Hey Frogman, I finally made it over here. Although I still do love the Dean Forum the best.

It sounds like one of the coils is not working. If it is a 4 wire pickup, get out the meter and check each coil individually. Also, check where the two wires are soldered together, see if they are making a good connection. If one of the coils has a short in it, there's not much you can do except get a new pickup. Take care, and have fun.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Thanks Synzzzer -- good to see ya here!

I'll check all the joints this weekend. Hopefully that is the problem.
      I couldn't imagine there'd be a short or something else defective in the pup -- I've only had the damn set for less than a year and they were purchased brand spankin' new..

Comment

i think it is probably only one coil working but i wouldnt be surprised if it was at the push/pull

Comment

^ +1
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I checked all the solder joints, and a couple looked "weak", so I went ahead and touched up all the joints and it's back to normal

--------

But now I've got another problem, which I didn't really notice before..

There's something going on with my toggle switch. I probably didn't notice it because of the neck pup output problem before.

Bridge only (down): totally normal.
            Neck only (up): totally normal.
            Middle: here's where it acting up.
            -when I switch to the middle position, 80% of the time the only the bridge pup is playing (usually when switching from the down/bridge-only position);
            -15% of the time (and usually when I switch from the up/neck-only position to the middle) only the neck pup is playing;
            -the other 5% (maybe less %) of the time, when I switch to the middle position, there's either no sound or just a slightly audible signal.

I looked at the switch and all the solder joints looked good, and for good measure I even "touched up" all 3 of the joints.

Any idea what could be causing this to happen...??
            Last edited by Frogman; 03-03-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X