Thoughts on Pups for a SG double neck kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Pups for a SG double neck kit

I am looking for some suggestions on some Duncan pups for my SG double neck kit from RAS Guitars. Questions in particular would be: (1) For the 12-string side, What would you suggest for a clean, bright pup set that would complement a 12-string. (2) for the 6-string side, something that isn't over the top but would have a good bluesy tone without being overpowering. (3) and if I mix-match pups, will I have to consider carefully planning the wiring setup. This is my first kit build and wanted to build something kinda special. What would you guys suggest?

Re: Thoughts on Pups for a SG double neck kit

I'd almost suggest the same thing for both necks. The Seth's would be my pick. You could just lower the 12 string ones to get a little more articulation.

Perhaps another option is to go what would have been in there originally - a T-top (or very close to). I've just recently I've done the T-top mod to a 490R.....putting in a short A5 magnet. If you pick low K rated ones they're pretty close to that snarly 70's tone.

Comment

I would go with either "59's or Pearly Gates for the 6 string and probably 59's for the 12 as well. Can't wait to see finished pics!! Perhaps you could post some pics of your build progress in the guitar section. I would love to see them.

-dave
      I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	edit366GibsonSGPge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5776274
        I actually wonder what Jimmy Page has in his double. There's a Duncan in the bridge from the looks of it.

Comment

it would be interesting to know what Mr Page had in his guitar. I know the Duncan page has a wiring diagram that Jimmy used.
          Last edited by 1971MateoLang; 03-05-2014, 07:41 PM. Reason: Added more text.

Comment

I like the thought of some Pearly Gates or '59's. I have been playing with the SD Tone Wizard. Seth Lovers are interesting but maybe more than I want to spend. Gonna have to shell some jack for two sets of pups. Appreciate your input.

Comment

I like the sound of the Seth's but they are a little pricey. Probably do as you suggested and install matched pups. Decisions. decisions. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Working...
              X