Installing JB into Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing JB into Ibanez

Well I have never replaced pickups before, and from all the videos it looks easy.... evidently I missed something...lol I took my pickup out (Stock V8) and it has 3 wires....when I stripped the duncan, it has 5.. Figured, no problem, I will youtube it..... and I found NOTHING... Do people not use duncan with Ibanez or something???? Don't want to pay $50 for the local music store to finish the job so

I was hoping someone on here knows which wires went together and which ones replaced which colored... EX... there were white and red wires on the stock pickup and a silver mesh wire.

If there is a video please link me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Re: Installing JB into Ibanez

You need to give a little more info. Which Ibanez do you have? How was the stock V8 wired, to the switch. Those Ibanez switches are a all not the same. I am using a JB in a SA .
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

yea I just realized all that looking for the diagrams. I have an RG 570? somewhere around there. It has a 5way switch. One volume and One Tone. Had V8 stock pickup that I am replacing.

Comment

I think I found what I was looking for though. White to red, and Green to Bare.

Comment

is the wire around it nickle braided (metal) , if so that is a 2 wire conductor. Your metallic part to it is your ground and the other wire goes to the selector
          if it's 4 wires when you strip than it's..

black / bare wire - ground
          red / white / soldered together unless you plan to do custom wiring
          green to the selector

trace the pickups wires back to the proper place in case you've got a super 5 way switch.. if so good luck. But in the end you can put a pickup in any guitar as long as it fits it'll work and you won't have a problem. It'll be a night and day difference getting rid of the V7 or V8 pickup in the bridge the resistance is like double.

some cool wiring mods to check out are the ..
          kinman treble bleed mod (maintain your tone at any volume)
          copper shielding tape comes in handy as well , it's an extra ground wire to the guitars volume potentiometer but it provides a clearer tone

Comment

Originally posted by Auer View Post
            I think I found what I was looking for though. White to red, and Green to Bare.
            For standard Duncan Humbucking wiring yes this is the way, and black is the output.

EDIT: I am sure, the V8 was wired to be split with the middle single coil. Red is normaly the hot out put on Ibanez Pickups.
            Last edited by Jocelyn; 02-28-2014, 01:44 AM.
            sigpic
            JFG Flying V,
            "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola

Comment

ok so my advice is go on guitar electronics "dot" com and find the color code for the ibanez to determine what wire is what. When I buy asian stuff off of ebay for customers who don't want to spend a lot of money when I first got pickups in I honestly had to test things out with a multimeter to see which went where without taking the pickup apart or wiring it up twice.

but yeah , write down the ibanez color code and then look at the color code on the seymour duncan and hot lead is now ____ , the ground wires are now ___ and ___.

Comment

wait a second.... what version of the JB are you installing?

Comment

Your Ibanez will violently reject any Duncan pickup. It's immune system is acclimated to DiMarzios. Fact.

Comment

JB works fine in an RG as I have installed one in an RG myself, replacing the stock INF3. Use this color code guide:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	PickupColorCodeChart-2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	5776284

Comment

Ibanez and DiMarzio share the same color code except Ibanez use blue for ground,which is green for Dimarzio.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Griffin View Post
                        Ibanez and DiMarzio share the same color code except Ibanez use blue for ground,which is green for Dimarzio.
                        Yes, I recollect this now. Blue for Ground and Red for output.
                        sigpic
                        JFG Flying V,

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeanicus View Post
                          Your Ibanez will violently reject any Duncan pickup. It's immune system is acclimated to DiMarzios. Fact.
                          I humbly disagree.
                          sigpic
                          JFG Flying V,

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn View Post
                            I humbly disagree.

I was joking.

Comment

Working...
                            X