Whole Lotta Humbuckers.....Amazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whole Lotta Humbuckers.....Amazing

Loving the GTX, you did a great job describing what they sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
      Loving the GTX, you did a great job describing what they sound like.
      Thank you Scott. Seymour Duncan has done an incredible job with these pickups. For the styles of music I play they are perfect. They really took the restoration of my old GTX to the next level.

Comment

The WLH set finally gave me the Les Paul tone I have had in my head for years. I love em.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
          The WLH set finally gave me the Les Paul tone I have had in my head for years. I love em.

Man, with all this WLH love, i truly hope they live up to my expectations when i finally get a set.

I am looking for a similar tone that you can hear on "It Might Get Loud", when Jimmy Page talks about light & shade, dynamics, and, and, and . . . during the first quarter of the movie/documentary !

(you know, the part when he switches between the neck & bridge pick ups while strumming)
          Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Zombiwoof,

Don't like 59 's in a SG. Something is missing. The bass is boomy. There ain't no gropping mids. The high end is sharp.
            All right, I'm a kvetch′er, but only when it comes to the 59.

I'm done now and on to your question.

Yes the WLH set sounds really good in a SG.

The WLH set is perfect for a SG. I have three SG's. One with a 36 Ann. set, one with a Jazz and 59/Custom set, and one with a WLH set.
            All three guitars have very different personalities. The WLH set oozes tasty [dig up the song Tasty by the Good Rats its at 8:06 at the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLiZfqEZOk sorry, this is just a underappreciated song and band] blues rock to my ears. They start off clean and as I dig in, they get rougher in a good way. And these pickups have an overlooked quality - at least to me, they split nicely.

Side note: [Take this any way you want to] I purchased the set from a private music store. The store owner said he has had only good comments about this pickup from his customers. Am extremely satisfied with this set in the SG and they are staying in the SG for the next couple of decades or so.
            That is not dead which can eternal lie,
            And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
              Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'd definitely recommend the 50s style wiring, I've never used my volume and tone controls so much, it gives a great range of tones with these pickups.
              Nice guitar, JimmyO!

I installed a covered set of WLHs in my ESP Edwards E-LP-PM, which has '50s wiring, and the bridge was quite bright and thin, like a tele.

After changing to the modern wiring on the controls, the bridge was not so bright and definitely thicker. Sounds like the Antiquities in my R9 now, but a bit hotter, probably due to the non-aged magnets. Has great note separation and retains clarity even in overdrive, both the bridge and neck. And the middle position has a nice honk when balancing the volumes. Still pretty bright with the Plexi (what isn't) but sounds wonderful with the Supro.
              Gibson R8 LP, ES-335, Edwards ALS/125 LP
              Fender American Special Strat, MIM Strat, Kramer 5150
              Charvel So Cal, Wildcard#6, Model 4, Gibson Clapton Fool SG
              EVH Bumblebee, Music Man Axis, Axis SS, Luke 3, Silo Special
              Fractal Audio Axe-Fx 2, AX8

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                [dig up the song Tasty by the Good Rats its at 8:06 at the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYLiZfqEZOk sorry, this is just a underappreciated song and band]
                Wow! The Good Rats have a new fan. Awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Originally posted by sandmannn69 View Post
                  Nice guitar, JimmyO!

I installed a covered set of WLHs in my ESP Edwards E-LP-PM, which has '50s wiring, and the bridge was quite bright and thin, like a tele.

After changing to the modern wiring on the controls, the bridge was not so bright and definitely thicker. Sounds like the Antiquities in my R9 now, but a bit hotter, probably due to the non-aged magnets. Has great note separation and retains clarity even in overdrive, both the bridge and neck. And the middle position has a nice honk when balancing the volumes. Still pretty bright with the Plexi (what isn't) but sounds wonderful with the Supro.
                  Thanks man. My GTX sounds pretty thick and I'm playing it through a JTM 45 and Mesa Lonestar which are both pretty bass heavy, so the 50s mod works out for me. Glad you've got them dialed in with your setup and that the modern wiring is working out. The WLHs do have some treble but it's the good kind that you can wind down on your tone control. It's there is you want it but isn't harsh. Mostly I've found them pretty balanced for the music I play.

Comment

Working...
                  X