Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best neck pickup choice?

Hi there,

I'm looking for a nice hot neck pickup that works well with the Seymour Duncan SH-10 Full Shred in a Ibanez Basswood body, Maple neck, Rosewood Fretboard.
    I need a neck pickup that can handily high gain settings and adds some variation to the Full Shred. I don't play much clean, but it's always nice to have the option.
    Any recommendations?

Re: Best neck pickup choice?

Originally posted by james.fusco View Post
    Hi there,

I'm looking for a nice hot neck pickup that works well with the Seymour Duncan SH-10 Full Shred in a Ibanez Basswood body, Maple neck, Rosewood Fretboard.
    I need a neck pickup that can handily high gain settings and adds some variation to the Full Shred. I don't play much clean, but it's always nice to have the option.
    Any recommendations?
    I've got the Jazz and it works pretty good, though the Jazz is a bit hotter, so the output difference between neck and bridge is no longer a kick in the teeth. But yeah, I have a Fender Showmaster with those same woods. I have the Jazz and FS in my Showmaster. If not, maybe a Full Shred neck would do. What music do you play with it?
    My Website || My Music
    Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

See, I'd like that kick between the two. I've heard the full shred neck is very muddy in basswood. I play Metalcore, kind of Trivium/ Of Mice And Men like

Comment

I really like the Jazz.. I have it installed in 3 of my guitars now. Clean and dirty it rocks IMO. I don't have any experience with basswood though, sorry.

Comment

The full shred neck is the Jazz neck except with the allen pole pieces. Should be a more articulate Jazz. The full shred bridge is the Custom 5 (SH14) with allen pole pieces.

Comment

That^, more or less.

I say Screamin' Demon.

Comment

Originally posted by james.fusco View Post
              See, I'd like that kick between the two. I've heard the full shred neck is very muddy in basswood. I play Metalcore, kind of Trivium/ Of Mice And Men like
              Yeah the full shred bridge isn't muddy in my Showmaster. My Jazz neck gets a little muddy in the bass but adjusting height and angle of it fixed it. http://www.puresimplicity.net/~delah...owmaster2.html

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
              My Website || My Music
              Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
              ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
              Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

PATB 1 neck version. They aren't hot, but the clarity allows you to stack on the gain without mush. Cleans are nice too.

Comment

listen to the guitar and see what you're missing. Since we can't put our hands through the monitor and check it out and see what we'd want in the end it's up to you. What is good is basswood tends to be balanced so really it's what you want in the end. I suppose you could go with your favorite rockstars and see what they are using in one side of things although amp and everything matters as much.. if not find something to complement the other pickup. Not everyone is like Michael Romeo of symphony X using two bridge pickups (X2N and tone zone bridge).

So look at resistance and EQ of the particular pickup(s) , that tells you all you need to know. The larger the number of resistance the darker and arguably higher the output. So usually it's like oh I'll take a 10k in the bridge and 8k in the neck or whatever. If I had to pick though I remember my friend on reverbnation has a full shred and jazz in his guitar and he is very happy with his schecter.

Comment

I've heard nothing but excellent things about the Black Winter neck model. People say it can do everything from total shred mayhem to clean, almost jazzy tones. I've also read great stuff about the Dimarzio Gravity Storm neck.

Sorry for the hearsay but money is too tight for me to try them all right now.
                     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X