Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JB Magswap question #5,024,758.

putting an A5 back in would probably be the best move

it doesn't match your brief, but you may be interested in the A2 in that JB; it's not tight, but you could handle it in that guitar, and it's very musical IMO

Comment

I'll play odd-man-out and suggest a 59/JB hybrid for that guitar, with the 59 coil closer to the bridge. The JB coil gives the extra push a 59 needs, while the 59 coil gives the low-end balls that a JB lacks, and tames those vicious high-mids.
      Originally posted by Brown Note
      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
        I know you're looking at magnets. I know. And I hate to be this guy, but have you ever tried the Crazy 8? It seems to tick all the boxes you're putting up.
        Negatory buddy. Haven't tried any custom shop pups. If/when I do, it'll probably be the Brobucker first though.

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
        putting an A5 back in would probably be the best move

it doesn't match your brief, but you may be interested in the A2 in that JB; it's not tight, but you could handle it in that guitar, and it's very musical IMO
        I think that's what I'm leaning towards honestly. I couldn't stand the UOA5 when I tried it in my Custom.

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
        I'll play odd-man-out and suggest a 59/JB hybrid for that guitar, with the 59 coil closer to the bridge. The JB coil gives the extra push a 59 needs, while the 59 coil gives the low-end balls that a JB lacks, and tames those vicious high-mids.
        I'm trying to get less low end, not more! :P

also, on a side note, this thread is dumb.

I'm gonna just jam some plastic fridge magnets and dollop of peanut butter in there and hope for the best.

Comment

You should at least try a ceramic, either one. I think that's your best shot.

A3 I just don't see as viable, might sound decent, but weak gauss = no power, and you might have to crank the amp more (noise) and be overpowered in the bridge.

The plain old A5 JB might just work in that thing, you never can tell.

A9 pickups seem to sound good everytime I hear one, but I haz no first hand.

This dude did all the work for you:

Comment

low power is not necessarily a dealbreaker for me.

usually what accompanies it is more clarity, less compression, more headroom, better articulation, more responsiveness to playing dynamics. With the JB wind as hot as it is, a lower power mag might be great.

yeah, dude's clips make the ceramic & UO ceramic sound best out of the mags he did test in the jb.

Comment

I'd honestly try the stock JB and see if it works.

I might have one or two ceramic spacer magnets, so you could mix and match say: A2 or A5 magnets with ceramic spacers. If you're interested, I'll start looking for them.

Comment

you could mix and match say: A2 or A5 magnets with ceramic spacers.
                That could be very interesting!
                Where Words Fail, Music Speaks
                If a positive attitude is a Magnet for positive results, what type positive attitude sounds best, A2, A5, UOA5, A8, C8, or?

Comment

This may offer some insight:

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                    I'm trying to get less low end, not more! :P
                    Wow, I totally misread the opening post

I fail
                    Originally posted by Brown Note
                    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                    My Blog

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I swapped out the A8 for a UOA5 and I'm digging the results.

lower output, chewier/more organic. less bass and but still tight. no more out of control humongous low mids, more of a classic JB sound but without the spike.

Suits my guitar quite well.

Comment

Groovy

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

You ever tried the Un oriented Ceramic in it? Suppose to be like A5 but with out the scoop.
                          Originally posted by KBliss
                          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                          Originally posted by trevorus
                          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

nope, don't have any UO Ceramics to play with

Comment

Working...
                            X