X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Versatile "metal" pickup(s)?

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
    Black Winter.

Here's the main thread on them: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...eedback-so-far . There's several Metal demos throughout the thread, and the last couple pages has a link for my YouTube vid where I'm playing a stuff that's a little more old school, such as Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Soundgarden, ect, and there's some Soundcloud clips that Nsatke made ofhis Black Winters in split mode (they could be easily mistaken for a Strat).

They are about the most versatile pickups out there at the moment, imho.
    This. Black Winter is a very versatile pickup, and actually has solid cleans and mid level distortion. I think it handles pretty much anything you could throw at it. It is a truly peculiar pickup to me, in that it can be much harder edged and harsh if you want it to be or mellow and calm if you so desire, and that is before you start playing with volume and tone.

I would go with a Black Winter Set.

Comment

versatility not alway is your friend, you had to have a "MAIN" sound to develop from, when you had it there are the knobs on the guitar and amp to dail in the other thing you want, better think what you want as main tone the rest of the work is for the knobs, since Metallica, Slayer and Korn in the same line, dude, you had a problem, metallica and salyer tone is more a percussive dark thing with a bunch of highs, korn....... not even talk about zeppelin, you needs something with a full but plain response to can modify by amp eq and the knobs on the guitar.

forgetting some of versatility that you don't! need, and metal on the main aim, on the bridge, pickups of the same sound line as the Duncan JB Duncan Distortion, Duncan Black Winter, Dimebucker, El Diablo (from duncan custom shop, i there is one on the trade forum) L500xl (wilde/bill n' becky has bit more midrange than the Lawrence USA, about that the rest is the same thing) L90 (8.0H, yeah why not a bit more vintage tone?) Gibson 500T, Gibson Dirty Fingers (not as hot as invader and is more "plain" balanced" than it) Lace Alumitone Deathbucker, lace Finger Burners (lace's take over dirty fingers sound with more vintage feel) BK Black Hawks, Guitar Heads MegaMetal.

yeah i mentioned a lot of passives for the bridge, on actives the ones i suggest are Blackouts AH1, Gus G blackouts, EMG 57

neck, hell, the neck is more tricky, a Pearly Gates (bridge or the neck model, both are great) Duncan Distortion Neck, Black winter Neck, L500c, L90 (4.0H), lace Finger Burners Neck, Emg 60 or 66, blackouts ah1 neck

are a lot of Pup's but they are on the "balance" that will get you a kind of main tone and enough range to can dail in the rock, blues, jazz, pop, country and why not salsa or flamenco stuff

Comment

Ampwise, if you wanna do metal, you'll need something that can keep it together. Vox is not exactly known for delivering crunching tight metal tones.
        In my experience, you can do jazz/blues/whatever on an amp aimed at the heavier player easy. Though certainly not the most authentic to the style, doing it the other way around will prove a lot trickier though and no pickup is gonna fix that.
        Wonder what Slayer would sound like with Antiquity pickups and a wall of AC30's behind them .

Comment

JB/Jazz

Comment

First time I've ever heard someone mention Deathbuckers. I put a set in an Epiphone Korina Explorer a few years back and they rule!

Comment

I honestly think AHB-1 Blackouts are pretty versatile. You'll have to spend some time tweaking the volume, gain, and EQ to suit them well, but they're completely versatile once you do. Everyone I know is always surprised by the tones I manage to achieve with them, both clean and distorted.

Comment

As already mentioned on this thread, I highly recommend the Black Winter pickups. While they have no problem giving you a brutal, heavy tone perfect for metal, they also have proven to be very versatile for other styles as well. I just got done recording our new disc using the BW pickups for the first time in the studio and they worked beautifully. We go through a lot of different kinds of moods and colors from really heavy death/black metal style at times to clean alternative type rock tones and so forth, and I was able to use my BW's for all of it without a problem. Played through three different amps (Framus Cobra, Peavey 6505+, and an Orange Tiny Terror on the 15 watt setting), I was able to get some very diverse tones and they responded well when I'd roll off the guitar's volume knob to get some cool in-between slightly gritty sounds happening as well. I'd definitely consider checking them out.

Comment

i posted pics of my guitar on here

Comment

Originally posted by cschneider154 View Post
                    Not have a crappy tone for once!? Haha!

Comment

I like my new D Activator X pickups in my Ibanez RG. It can do the metal from 80s to brootal, but also on a clean amp it sounds Fendery for the blues. Turn down the tone and it goes all smooth jazz. Split it, it sounds like Kiss by Prince or the number 2/4 positions in a Strat especially with the PGn together sounds like Dire Straits, or bloomy jangly like some alt band.
                      Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                      http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

EMG HBs are not really about versatility, although the 85 or 89 are the best overall choice at the bridge for more range. The 81 only wants to kill. Listen, and understand. The 81 can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your enemies are dead.

For actives, the EMG 60 rules the neck to me. EMG singles are bit more versatile, but that's another thread.

Kazillions of guitars aren't shipped out with the JB/'59 combo by accident (it works), although I think the Distortion/'59 combo is even better as long as you have coil tapping ability for better clean sounds. If you aren't going to have coil tapping, the JB/'59 is better for cleans.
                        Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
                        Marshall JVM410H
                        Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                        Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                        ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
                        Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
                        Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
                        Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
                        Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

I've never tried a Black Winter but I want to! That may be the best choice. I have however used the Custom in all its forms and the stock Custom would fit the bill nicely. It's one of those pick ups that probably doesn't do anything the best, but can do most things really well.

Comment

what about dirty fingers?

Comment

that thing is hell cool, i really thrash mine, with a 250k tone pot and .047 cap can turn a ton of metal distortion onto a fuzz, cleans, i basically don't use them but they sounds like if other guy play my guitar can dial up a great clean tone

Comment

so i found a good deal on some gus g fire blackouts. whats the main difference with those compared to regular blackouts? is it just ones active and ones passive?

Comment

Working...
                                X