X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder types used in pickups

Hello everyone,

My question at the moment is this:

Does Seymour Duncan use lead-tin solders in their "historically correct" pickups?

I'm asking this question since a friend of mine ran into some problems with "Texas special" pickups of a different manufacturer. They sported lead-free solder and he had to solder them properly before they started to work as intended.

I am about to purchase Texas Hot Antiquity -neck pickup for my Strat and I am now wondering how these are made.

Cheers,

Artsi

Re: Solder types used in pickups

I don't know the answer, but I do know that seymour duncans work as intended out of the box, and the top of solder in your pickups really does not matter as to whether they work at all. I would actually be highly suspicious of someone's word about pickups not working without adding solder. The spots that actually get soldered in a pickup are small and generally speaking, messing with them is not a good idea and could easily lead you to break the pickup.

But whether a pickup is soldered correctly has nothing to do with the lead content of solder. Its kind of like asking whether a car has unleaded gas in it to determine its reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
      ...But whether a pickup is soldered correctly has nothing to do with the lead content of solder. Its kind of like asking whether a car has unleaded gas in it to determine its reliability.
      The one problem he could have had was a cold solder joint. Lead free solder melts at a higher temp, so it's conceivable that one could slip out with a bad solder joint. I wouldn't worry too much about Duncan stuff, I've never had or heard of an issue with this.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Yeah, it is possible that a pickup might slip out...

But I would think that SD's employees are fairly familiar with their soldering with the materials they use. Yes, a cold joint is possible with lead or lead free solder. But I think a cold joint would be unlikely (and covered by warranty) to the point of not really considering solder type as a criteria when purchasing pickups.

The greater issue is quality control, and competence by employees, and I have yet to encounter a defective Seymour Duncan. In fact, I dare say, new, defective pickups from major aftermarket pickup makers is always possible, but quite probably exceedingly rare.

Comment

Whilst concern is good, trying to invent problems that haven't happened yet isn't really productive.

Every company will occasionally have a QC issue from time to time. Your chances of getting this product are low, and even if you do, then you can go either through your place of purchase or directly here on this forum to sort out issues (in the VERY low chance they happen).

Comment

Originally posted by Artsi View Post
            I'm asking this question since a friend of mine ran into some problems with "Texas special" pickups of a different manufacturer. They sported lead-free solder and he had to solder them properly before they started to work as intended.
            Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
            Yeah, it is possible that a pickup might slip out...

But I would think that SD's employees are fairly familiar with their soldering with the materials they use.
            It wasn't a Duncan pickup with the problem. I'm guessing Fender Texas Specials. It happens. I also have never had a problem with any Duncan pickup, or any name brand, honestly.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
            Originally posted by Securb
            The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
            X