Need help deciding on Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding on Pickups

Hi there, I'm trying to decide what kind of Pickups I should get, I plan on getting a blacktop strat and swapping out the humbuckers in it, but I'm not entirely sure what I should get,my style of playing is kinda grungy/hard rock(mostly Seether and Nirvana like) I was thinking probably a jb or a sh-5 in my bridge,for a nice hot distortion, but I'm not so sure about the neck, preferably I'd like something that's a bit darker sounding,and be really clear, and not sloppy or muddy sounding.

One other question, not sure if this even has to do with Pickups but some of my bands songs have a fair amount of muted or dead notes, how do you get them to sound more like chika chika versus a more rounded blunt sounding one. I thought it might have to do with the pickup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Re: Need help deciding on Pickups

I would suggest a '59 set and a cranked tube amp.

In regards to your second question, what amp are you playing through? It sounds like an e.q. thing. In my mind, "chicka-chicka" sounds like treble and mids. Think the muted notes in "Creep" by Radiohead.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Well right now a Fender Frontman 25r but I'm planning to upgrade to a deluxe reverb in the near future

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Deluxe Reverb. Don't let it fool you, that thing is loud. Like...knocks expensive things off my walls loud. I'm a firm believer that upgrading your amp is the first priority before swapping out pickups since your amplifier is the main factor in how your guitar sounds.

The best pickups in the world will still sound bad through a bad amplifier while mediocre pickups can sound great through a good one.
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Your on the right track with your pup choice. Kurt was known to use a JB and for Seether I think I remember the guitarist was using a Custom but either one will do. The Custom is more tighter and crisp the the JB but the JB is more fluid and a bit hotter.

But Flannel is right the amp is the biggest part I know Seether used Dual Rectos and I think Kurt used Mesa Boogie but I think it was a rack set up.
          Originally posted by KBliss
          WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
          Originally posted by trevorus
          The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Dark but clear? I'm just gonna throw this out there, but a Phat Cat?
            -IM

Comment

Working...
            X