banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Advised on this :My LP, has one of those Solder-less Kit. Should I Change It??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Advised on this :My LP, has one of those Solder-less Kit. Should I Change It??

I like to hear what is your opinion about those Kits....
    They just come in, and plug in type.....can you changed tho the Caps???.... Are the Pots 500K ???
    or should I replaced that , for a conventional Kit. From Rs, Wagner's or someone else ???
    Thank you for your input !!!!!

Re: I Need Advised on this :My LP, has one of those Solder-less Kit. Should I Change

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. There are "upgrades" that can be made, but I would drop the circuit board and do it the old fashioned way.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Re: I Need Advised on this :My LP, has one of those Solder-less Kit. Should I Change

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And if ever you do decide to replace things, I'd just get the components you need and install them yourself. It's as easy as it gets. Pre-made wiring kits are a complete ripoff. I can't believe that people think it's a good idea to spend $50 to $100 (or more) to someone in exchange for them buying $10 or $20 worth of components and spending 15 minutes soldering them together.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I just wanna change the Caps....Can it be Done ????

Comment

Yeah, but it's kind of a pain. You have to take the whole board out to do it right.
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...

Comment

Ok Trevorus"... Thank you , those ceramic caps ..... Dont make a fair Justice, to a a nice set of WCR's....

Comment

Originally posted by stratneck2 View Post
              I just wanna change the Caps.
              First of all, why? Unless you want to change the actual capacitance, a cap swap is completely pointless. Capacitor type has zero effect on tone. Expensive or "upgrade" caps are another one of the great ripoffs in the aftermarket guitar world.

If you do want to change the values, just look at where the old caps are, and put the new caps in their place.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                First of all, why? Unless you want to change the actual capacitance, a cap swap is completely pointless. Capacitor type has zero effect on tone. Expensive or "upgrade" caps are another one of the great ripoffs in the aftermarket guitar world.

If you do want to change the values, just look at where the old caps are, and put the new caps in their place.
                Honestly, I try to keep away from the capacitor and component debate as well as try not get fooled by my own ears. I just installed an RS Guitarworks wiring kit in a friends guitar, and I think it was worth every penny... But if I was going to pull out those circuit boards, I would change the entire system to the old school style system, 50's wiring, etc.

Comment

I think a good quality Harness makes a Huge difference in the tone, is like someone just open the curtains in front of the speaker....!!!

Comment

We already know you really want to change it. This entire thread is just you seeking a confirmation bias - you already know what you are going to do, and you're going to keep this thread going until someone agrees with your pre-conceived idea of changing the wiring components to "improve tone". If that's what you're going to do, then just spend your money already; it is what you planned anyways.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If you like the way the guitar sounds now, leave it alone. I personally don't like the way they come stock. I am a big believer in 500k pots all around and have never been a fan of the 300k Gibson uses. I have changed caps on the circuit board before. It is no different than modding a pedal or any other PCB mounted stuff. Use a solder sucker, remove it, solder in the new. I would stick with poly-film or ceramic caps as they will fit in there better, but use whatever you want.

If you want new pots and '50s style wiring, you will have to rip out the old and wire it up anew. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Comment

Myaccount876",

Thank you for Knocking Me to my Senses.....How Much you charge an Hour ???
                        Last edited by stratneck2; 03-10-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you for sound Advise , is Appreciated It !!!!

Originally posted by njstoehr View Post
                          If you like the way the guitar sounds now, leave it alone. I personally don't like the way they come stock. I am a big believer in 500k pots all around and have never been a fan of the 300k Gibson uses. I have changed caps on the circuit board before. It is no different than modding a pedal or any other PCB mounted stuff. Use a solder sucker, remove it, solder in the new. I would stick with poly-film or ceramic caps as they will fit in there better, but use whatever you want.

If you want new pots and '50s style wiring, you will have to rip out the old and wire it up anew. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Comment

Myaccount876",

He charges pretty reasonably now, but wait till he gets to adult wages!!

Comment

Myaccount876",

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucy-van-pelt-1-.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5776421

Comment

Working...
                              X