X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutant Strat project

Hi guys.

I picked up a Japanese made Strat copy from a thrift shop for cheap
    Basic info is that it is a 1976 Rockson from Japan (feel free to laugh)
    Basswood body
    Maple neck with Rosewood figure board
    Vintage trem

It has seen better days as someone has taken to Pickup Cavity with a drill to try to turn it into a fat Strat but never really finished the job.
    I will be turning this it a Bathtub Cavity as it the only way to save this poor old girl.
    But good news the body is still solid and has become my new project guitar.
    It basically at the moment it only body and neck only so this will be a ground up rebuild. Everything else is rusted or beyond repair
    This will be my project hack around guitar that I want try something a little different (I'm basically teaching myself guitar repair and maintenance so I expect a few mistakes)

Anyway I have a Seymourized Mini-Humbucker SM-3 that I have Saved from a previous project and this will be a my Neck Pick up

Was think a p90 for the middle pick-up
    Maybe a P-90 StackŪ STK-P1 or Vintage Soapbar SP90-1

For the bridge I was going full size humbucker

And that's where I come unstuck.
    I have Custom Custom in my Les Paul, but my lack of experience with Humbuckers i have drawn a blank.
    so Feel free to post up ideas.

Anyway what do you think of this crazy mix and feel free to post up any ideas or other ideas for pickup mixtures.
    Also feel free to point out any mistake this noobie has made.

Thanks in advance
    LostKiwi

Re: Mutant Strat project

What I'd like to do with a tub route strat is make a five pickup guitar which two pickups between the existing three. But instead of having a selector switch, I'd put some sort of patch board on the pick guard to give direct access to all five pickups so that any combination of pickup, series/parallel, in phase/out of phase could be achieved with patch wires. It wouldn't be for playing regularly, just for messing with. I'd be the most interested in hearing the sound of all five pickups in series.

Comment

Re: Mutant Strat project

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      What I'd like to do with a tub route strat is make a five pickup guitar which two pickups between the existing three. But instead of having a selector switch, I'd put some sort of patch board on the pick guard to give direct access to all five pickups so that any combination of pickup, series/parallel, in phase/out of phase could be achieved with patch wires. It wouldn't be for playing regularly, just for messing with. I'd be the most interested in hearing the sound of all five pickups in series.
      Thanks drex. Great idea. Sounds almost like the switches on a red special.

But due to my limited skills at the moment will keep with the three pickup format, may a push pull on the bridge pickup if im feeling adventurous

Comment

Working...
      X