S/Duncan Jerry Donahue For Country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/Duncan Jerry Donahue For Country?

Building a new tele and thought of putting a Jerry Donahue in the bridge, i have a 5/2 in one tele which works quite well....what difference will i get with the Donhue, am i thinking along the right lines or is there something more suitable without spending a fortune?
    Thanks
    Rob(uk)

Re: S/Duncan Jerry Donahue For Country?

Hi robkay15. Welcome to the Forum. The APTL3-JD will work great for Country. When you think about what modern Country is nowadays, it's what we called "rock" a few years back. The APTL3-JD has a bit more punch than most vintage Tele pickups so the tone is beefy and warmer than, say, a Broadcaster pickup. And the Alnico 2 pole pieces will work great with a maple fingerboard.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I love the Jerry Donahue Tele pickup. I don't play much country (altho some of my friends might disagree) but my Tele with the Jerry Donahue bridge pickup is one of my most played guitars. Also sounds awesome for slide - it's bright and twangy, like a Tele bridge pickup should be, but not ice pick in the ear bright. It's fat - but not to fat. It twangs when I want it to twang, and it barks and growls when I want it to do that.

It's my favorite Tele bridge pickup.

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Here's me doing my arrangement of Crossroads on that Tele.

Comment

Jerry was just in here a few weeks ago with one of his new Fret King guitars (which was incredible!) and he was pulling off all kind of tones with that signature bridge pickup of his. Definitely has a voicing that would be suitable for Country!

Comment

For what it's worth, although I haven't tried it personally, every time I see a 'What tele bridge pickup' thread pop up on any of the guitar forums I frequent (especially TDPRI, where they are ONLY about the telecaster) the Jerry Donahue is by far the most common suggestion as the 'best'.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

I currently have it in my HS telecaster.

Admittedly I haven't tried very many tele-style bridge pickups (the JD and the Rio Grande Dirty Harry), but it is my favorite pickup overall.

It's perfect for just about anything. It's got wonderfully tight bass despite being A2, and a sweet singing treble. It's country enough that with some slapback echo you're good to go, and balanced enough to work for everything from Led Zeppelin to early metallica to djent stuff, and even does great pinch harmonics.

The only thing it doesn't do is cancel hum, which really who cares about that anyway.
              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
              I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Just finished this last night, it's Jerry showing off the Fret-King and the 3JD pickups:

Comment

Hmmmm. Gotta borrow some of those cool JD pedal steel bend licks! His signature.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Another vote for the JD. It's one of my favorite Duncan pups. I'm surprised it isn't a Custom Shop model.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Another vote for the JD. It's one of my favorite Duncan pups. I'm surprised it isn't a Custom Shop model.
                      It is Artie. MJ wound mine. If you want some extra mojo, ask MJ to wind one for you.

I think mine is a little more transparent sounding than the stock model but the stock model is great too.

Comment

Thats good to know, but I love mine just as it is.

Comment

Working...
                        X