banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Me likey Frank's idea.

Comment

Z pickup it is.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I'm in. It sounds like a killer idea.
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

hum cancelling z-90, sounds good, maybe thin rail pieces on wound strings and poles or thick rails on plains and the Z desing more like an inverted Z (wound strings half near to the bridge and plain strings half near to th neck)

the reason of inverted Z structure and half thin rail half pole/thick rail may actually get a bit more of the desing wise of rail hamers and bit lace alumitone, i'm not saying make another thing like the fugly or the pickup equivalent to the homer simpson designed car, but actually a desing that really does something than aestethics, the thin rail will get more tight to the wound strings, and the thick rail/poles will do plain strings sound fuller, and the inverted Z thing will basically acentuate that, giving more highs/prescence to the wounds and mids/lows to the plains

and about tone and output wise, do the thing to actually sound rauchy and as hot as a Distortion mayhem set (or 3 versions of the same thing, one vintage out, one with a more moderate out and the last as hot as a black winter set for the M3T4Lz[myself included] and bR00TaLz)

ok, the thing i think may sound too exscesive, but a splited noiseless p-90 under humbucker cover really sounds convincent, so yeah, do that thing

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            Me likey Frank's idea.
            Same here; Sounds like a killer idea! With the way he described it and the ability to flip it....you would get lots of versatility in either the neck or bridge!

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
              I think the best fake single coil sounds from the Z format have been rod magnets. There's the ones MJ has done, and PRS had a Fralin design on a CE bolt neck that were great too.

But you're right, if the attempt was to make something with a P90 flavor it would be base magnets and poles. If it were me? I'd do 3 screw poles and half a keeper bar on the bass side, and 3 slugs on the treble side. Each of them shortie bobbins. That way you'd have meatier treble strings, and a little more twang on the bass strings. And guess what you could do? Flip it around if you wanted the reverse.

Due to dimensional limitations of Alnico, you'd probably be stuck with ceramic. But with a small enough ceramic, one that matched the gauss strength of an Alnico center magnet, you could create a stable magnetic circuit with Alnico down the middle and small ceramic flanking magnets. Wheee-YOW!!
              Nice idea. However, it's going to be very labor intense, as you've gotta create custom bobbins for this task only, if I've understood it correctly?

Comment

Cool. I like the idea and the name Z-90 too. The Z-90 Humbucker has a nice ring to it...
                Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTondo View Post
                  The Z-90 Humbucker has a nice ring to it...
                  Well, that's fine I guess, as long as I can still use my existing ring too.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                    Well, that's fine I guess, as long as I can still use my existing ring too.
                    Ring away I'd say, but I guess you can keep it too.
                    Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

• Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Originally posted by speed2dirt View Post
                      What I want and think would be really different is a firebird/mini-humbucker hybrid pickup that fits into a full-size humbucker cover. It would offer the chime of a singlecoil but the humcancelling properties of a humbucker while adding it's own unique flavor. Like you said, we've already done several humbuckers, a singlecoil, a P90, and a staple pickup. Why not do a mini-humbucker/firebird that fits a full-size space?! I think it'd really hit the nail on the head as far as neck tones go!
                      That's a cool idea...

One bobin would have the bar upright (like them old Melody Maker pickups) and the other would be a regular bobin with screws. The two mags would be repelling each other though (as in p90's), but I think that'd be ok.

Cool idea man. Would be sorta bright jangly full sized bucker.

B
                      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Z thing that Frank describes is very cool.

Another idea of mine was to get a good old PAF pickup 8.50K bridge and 7.50K neck Alnico X mag (X=degaussed 2, 2, 4, degaussed 5, shiney 5, UOA5 ... whatever) with #42 PE wire. The catch is to have it tapped: So that using ~4K of one of the bobins and ~2.5K from the other connected in series, we'd have a 6.5K #42 PE wire pickup. As close as one can get to a real single coil sound using a PAF pickup. No?

So I was thinking about such a PAF set, a tapped bridge and a tapped neck PAF.

Or we could have (if feasible) a neck PAF clone offering 2 modes: 6.0K (3/3) and 7.5K. See?

Then again, the Z90 idea is cool.

B
                        Last edited by dr.barlo; 03-11-2014, 05:37 AM.
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                          I think the best fake single coil sounds from the Z format have been rod magnets. There's the ones MJ has done, and PRS had a Fralin design on a CE bolt neck that were great too.

But you're right, if the attempt was to make something with a P90 flavor it would be base magnets and poles. If it were me? I'd do 3 screw poles and half a keeper bar on the bass side, and 3 slugs on the treble side. Each of them shortie bobbins. That way you'd have meatier treble strings, and a little more twang on the bass strings. And guess what you could do? Flip it around if you wanted the reverse.

Due to dimensional limitations of Alnico, you'd probably be stuck with ceramic. But with a small enough ceramic, one that matched the gauss strength of an Alnico center magnet, you could create a stable magnetic circuit with Alnico down the middle and small ceramic flanking magnets. Wheee-YOW!!
                          Very nice. A couple of us strabro90 buyers spent the time flipping and there was a good difference.

Plus people could remove one or both side magnets if so inclined, if it is not too locked up.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                            That's a cool idea...

One bobin would have the bar upright (like them old Melody Maker pickups) and the other would be a regular bobin with screws. The two mags would be repelling each other though (as in p90's), but I think that'd be ok.

Cool idea man. Would be sorta bright jangly full sized bucker.

B
                            There would be short bobbins, so the magnet doesn't fit inside.

A Firebird in hum casing would be an entirely different project, and it would be full size coils, meaning two sound pickup points.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                              Pepe, STFU..
                              Make me!!!!!!!

Last edited by LtKojak; 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Man, THIS the most amazing offering I've seen in a long time... if they can make a noise-cancelling, P-90- or Staple- voiced version of it, it'll be the perfect p'up... at least for yours truly.

Oh, and I'm referring to a p'up OPTIMIZED to the NECK position.

HTH,

Comment

Working...
                                X