banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
    There would be short bobbins, so the magnet doesn't fit inside.

A Firebird in hum casing would be an entirely different project, and it would be full size coils, meaning two sound pickup points.
    I did not quite get it... Here is how a Firebird coil looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5776432

Are these coils, bobins, shorter? I suppose that the mag that can be seen in that pic is the same as a HB mag. Isn't it? Nevertheless, even if it were to be shorter, why not put one of them firebird mags next to a regular PAF bobin that is magnetized with a regular PAF mag underneath?

You know I am with you on not having "crazy" designs... Just thought that this "firebird" thing maybe interesting. But now that I am thinking, it is not that different from my Fuglies, which I have not installed yet (on account of its routing issues) ... So scratch this "idea".

Z90 is cool.

How about them tapped PAFs? Any love?

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
      I did not quite get it... Here is how a Firebird coil looks like...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51861[/ATTACH]

Are these coils, bobins, shorter? I suppose that the mag that can be seen in that pic is the same as a HB mag. Isn't it? Nevertheless, even if it were to be shorter, why not put one of them firebird mags next to a regular PAF bobin that is magnetized with a regular PAF mag underneath?

You know I am with you on not having "crazy" designs... Just thought that this "firebird" thing maybe interesting. But now that I am thinking, it is not that different from my Fuglies, which I have not installed yet (on account of its routing issues) ... So scratch this "idea".

Z90 is cool.

How about them tapped PAFs? Any love?

B
      What I/we are saying is that the Firebird style requires full length coils, but this new thing should have two half-sized coils like a P bass pickup.

The shorter coils will enable the single sound pickup point per string which makes the typical humbucker sound go away and move toward P90. Longer coils without polepiece in half of them are probably no good because they are dead weight like in a stack.

I would be all for experimenting with a regular humbucker size Firebird construction pickup but not for this round.

Comment

The bobbins and the shortened spacer mags will be custom parts, raising cost. Although I think this is a good enough idea that just maybe it becomes something they could use mainstream, I can see that being an obstacle.

Should it be metal cover and look like a wide range? No holes? Plastic pseudo P90 look?

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
          The bobbins and the shortened spacer mags will be custom parts, raising cost. Although I think this is a good enough idea that just maybe it becomes something they could use mainstream, I can see that being an obstacle.

Should it be metal cover and look like a wide range? No holes? Plastic pseudo P90 look?
          I'm expecting it to look like this.

Name:	fender-wide-range-humbucker-754305.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5776435
          Except instead of a full humbucker underneath, it's a Z style one with 2 smaller coils

Comment

I'd be interested in the Hum free P-90 in Bucker housing. My only thing is I would want it to have exceptional Clarity, Note Definition, and a decent output probably medium but not vintage.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
              in my mind it would look like a Fralin P92

Name:	336-P-92s001_edited0001.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5776436
              Quality riffs in about a minute...
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Something like this makes for a great forum pup because the high labor/fabrication costs are defrayed over such a large order.
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

frank idea is really nice, and output wise what i said maybe the best way to do the pickup (3 versions one for the medium p-90 output one hot and the can it dj0nt[lol] version)

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post
                    frank idea is really nice, and output wise what i said maybe the best way to do the pickup (3 versions one for the medium p-90 output one hot and the can it dj0nt[lol] version)
                    You're talking about 3 different pups then. SD is able to do a discount because it's a quantity order of 1 pup or even one pair. You're talking about something that's going to require LOTS of time and extra R&D and ultimately raise prices.
                    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

One question in my mind is whether this pickup could be made so that it is reasonably easy to open for the user, e.g. for magnet changes.

"Easy" here means soldering like opening a Phat Cat. But not glued or epoxied shut.

Comment

I though it would be open coil?
                        Originally posted by KBliss
                        WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                        Originally posted by trevorus
                        The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

everybody else seems to be stating their opinion and calling it fact, i don't see why chadd shouldn't if he feels like it.
                          btw chadd, check out the s-deco

there are several good ideas here, but my bet is that a whole lot of people like to talk a lot of sh1t when the discussion threads are on, and disappear when the resultant pickup goes on sale.
                          the fugly sounds fantastic, but everyone disparages it as being ugly, despite it being formed by popular opinion in the first place. the phat staple is another example of my view; SD gave people exactly what they asked for, and they freaked out when it didn't fit their guitars (myself included).
                          i think sticking to the obvious is the best move: a factory 59/jazz hybrid (more hybrids in general), A3 antiquities, A5 phat cats, cooler-wound quarter pounders, "the mag" and seymourizer reissues are all relatively constant, and most wouldn't require a lot of re-tooling.

further afield, a PAF-ish A8 wind on the leesona could be interesting (Maton might want some, and QOTSA are touring), and some P90-to-mini ring kits could be worth looking into as well, as GFS have been making them for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                            everybody else seems to be stating their opinion and calling it fact, i don't see why chadd shouldn't if he feels like it.
                            btw chadd, check out the s-deco

there are several good ideas here, but my bet is that a whole lot of people like to talk a lot of sh1t when the discussion threads are on, and disappear when the resultant pickup goes on sale.
                            the fugly sounds fantastic, but everyone disparages it as being ugly, despite it being formed by popular opinion in the first place. the phat staple is another example of my view; SD gave people exactly what they asked for, and they freaked out when it didn't fit their guitars (myself included).
                            i think sticking to the obvious is the best move: a factory 59/jazz hybrid (more hybrids in general), A3 antiquities, A5 phat cats, cooler-wound quarter pounders, "the mag" and seymourizer reissues are all relatively constant, and most wouldn't require a lot of re-tooling.

further afield, a PAF-ish A8 wind on the leesona could be interesting (Maton might want some, and QOTSA are touring), and some P90-to-mini ring kits could be worth looking into as well, as GFS have been making them for some time.
                            Seriously, enough with the visual designs. It doesn't f_cking matter what it looks like. The sound is what's important. You have a bunch of bedroom innovators designing something that won't do anything but look different, and no one will buy it when it comes up. Design something *good*, and maybe it'll become a regular model and you can pick it up for $70 when it goes into production. Pickups aren't meant to look a certain way. They're meant to convey *sound*.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

For a production model, I'd really like a slightly hotter bridge PAF at 9K to low 9K, with an A2, A3, or A4 magnet. Everybody's got low to mid 8K PAF's, and I don't want a 12 to 14K PU that people claim is a 'like a PAF' That's too hot to use the term 'PAF' in the description. Original PAF's sometimes were wound to 9K, so this is a natural thing, and a hole in the Duncan line. It shouldn't have to be a Custom Shop request.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                                For a production model, I'd really like a slightly hotter bridge PAF at 9K to low 9K, with an A2, A3, or A4 magnet. Everybody's got low to mid 8K PAF's, and I don't want a 12 to 14K PU that people claim is a 'like a PAF' That's too hot to use the term 'PAF' in the description. Original PAF's sometimes were wound to 9K, so this is a natural thing, and a hole in the Duncan line. It shouldn't have to be a Custom Shop request.
                                Isn't that the '78 basically? Are you asking that it becomes a regular model?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                                Nope...

Comment

Working...
                                X