banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    For a production model, I'd really like a slightly hotter bridge PAF at 9K to low 9K, with an A2, A3, or A4 magnet. Everybody's got low to mid 8K PAF's, and I don't want a 12 to 14K PU that people claim is a 'like a PAF' That's too hot to use the term 'PAF' in the description. Original PAF's sometimes were wound to 9K, so this is a natural thing, and a hole in the Duncan line. It shouldn't have to be a Custom Shop request.
    Maybe a Pearly Gates Plus, TB spaced, to go along with the TB spaced Distortion Neck/Seymourizer.

Those would both plug some holes.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      Maybe a Pearly Gates Plus, TB spaced, to go along with the TB spaced Distortion Neck/Seymourizer.
      Are these not shop floor customs for some reason?

Comment

Argh.

Three of the four forum pickups were humbuckers, and we want another one? Laaaaame.

And if you guys know what's good for you, the only thing you'll request is "let Frank design whatever he wants". The previous design-by-committee adventure was extremely frustrating.
        Band: www.colouredanimal.com
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
        Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
          Argh.

Three of the four forum pickups were humbuckers, and we want another one? Laaaaame.
          Over 75% of the respondents to the poll preferred humbuckers.

I think with the forum pickups they want to make at least 100 of them. If you can find 100 users on here that would definitely buy a single coil or some oddball pickup, it would make sense to go that way.

Otherwise, it makes more sense just to go with a standard design humbucker and try to find a sound and position that most people are looking for.

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Argh.

Suck it up. The people has spoken!

And if you guys know what's good for you, the only thing you'll request is "let Frank design whatever he wants". The previous design-by-committee adventure was extremely frustrating.
            Extremely frustrating is kinda an understatement, if you ask me... and Frank is not longer with the Duncan Co, he's with Falbo Guitars http://www.falboguitars.com, making acoustic instruments.

HTH,
            Last edited by LtKojak; 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Over 75% of the respondents to the poll preferred humbuckers.

I think with the forum pickups they want to make at least 100 of them. If you can find 100 users on here that would definitely buy a single coil or some oddball pickup, it would make sense to go that way.

Otherwise, it makes more sense just to go with a standard design humbucker and try to find a sound and position that most people are looking for.
              Voting in a poll and opening your wallet are entirely different things. And I don't recall anyone from SD ever giving us a minimum order number. I seriously doubt it's 100, assuming it exists at all.

A Tele single coil is hardly an "oddball pickup" and I know for a fact there are other guys on here who would like one. But we never even get to that point because we always just go with whatever gets the most poll votes. Imagine if you had to buy an album based on whatever everyone else thought was the coolest.

I get that most people want a humbucker, and that's fine, but does that mean all other choices should be ignored every time? SD already makes a ton of humbuckers.

I'm not saying we should stop making humbuckers as forum pickups altogether, but maybe just once we do a Tele pickup, or a P90, or anything else really. If you want yet another humbucker after that, go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                Suck it up. The people has spoken!
                Like I said, the people aren't necessarily the customers in this case.

Extremely frustrating is kinda an understatement, if you ask me... and Frank is not longer with the Duncan Co, he's with Falbo Guitars http://www.falboguitars.com, making acoustic instruments.

HTH,
                I know that, and it has zero impact on his ability to design a pickup, as has already been made clear in this thread.

Comment

Although I like the idea of it looking like a wide range with the offset poles and a metal cover, the point of the Z is not for looks, but to be hum canceling. A hum canceling P90-ish thing that fits in a humbucker route sounds ****ing epic to me. I'd rather go for that than something I can make out of a couple used pickups for less than CS prices to begin with.

I voted for a tele pickup.

Comment

Imagine if you had to buy an album based on whatever everyone else thought was the coolest.

You don't *have* to buy anything. If they don't come up with something you'd buy, then you don't buy it. Plain and simple. This isn't a multi-level marketing plan.

If a small number of people want a single coil pickup, and a huge majority/plurality want a humbucker, even if half the people didn't commit at the end, it's still worthwhile to target the larger numbers. The single coil people can go through the custom shop and get what they need.

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                      Isn't that the '78 basically? Are you asking that it becomes a regular model?
                      Right. '78's are Custom Shop and too expensive for the average player. But Duncan should either make the '78 regular production (why isn't it already?) or wind another bridge PAF to 9K.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                        Are these not shop floor customs for some reason?
                        I can't think of a good reason why some models are in production (and probably weak sellers) while Brobuckers, C8's, and '78's aren't. Having them as regular production doesn't mean every retail outlet has to carry them. There are some existing Duncan PU's that should be more accessible and more affordable.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I can't think of a good reason why some models are in production (and probably weak sellers) while Brobuckers, C8's, and '78's aren't. Having them as regular production doesn't mean every retail outlet has to carry them. There are some existing Duncan PU's that should be more accessible and more affordable.
                          I'd love the '78 to be regular production.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
                          Nope...

Comment

You don't *have* to buy anything. If they don't come up with something you'd buy, then you don't buy it. Plain and simple. This isn't a multi-level marketing plan.

If a small number of people want a single coil pickup, and a huge majority/plurality want a humbucker, even if half the people didn't commit at the end, it's still worthwhile to target the larger numbers. The single coil people can go through the custom shop and get what they need.
                            Come on ... I obviously know that buying the pickup is optional. I also didn't mention in my post whether or not the sun rises in the east, but I suppose should clarify that too, perhaps?

If you're going to argue with me (side note: why are you arguing with me?) focus on my idea, not on piddly-ass semantics.

And yes, anyone can get whatever they want through the CS; humbucker and single coil enthusiasts alike. And nobody has to buy the forum pickup. Pizza is yummy. Puppies are cute. Flowers are pretty. None of these obvious facts have anything to do with what I'm (pointlessly, apparently) talking about.

Aaaanyway, let me try and drag this whole thing back to my original point, which is: we've already done three humbuckers; what's the harm in giving something else a try this one time? If anyone has an actual answer to this, I'd be happy to see it.

Comment

Yup, make them available and one of the eBay sellers can stock them and sell them quickly enough.

Twitter:
                              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Come on ... I obviously know that buying the pickup is optional. I also didn't mention in my post whether or not the sun rises in the east, but I suppose should clarify that too, perhaps?

If you're going to argue with me (side note: why are you arguing with me?) focus on my idea, not on piddly-ass semantics.

And yes, anyone can get whatever they want through the CS; humbucker and single coil enthusiasts alike. And nobody has to buy the forum pickup. Pizza is yummy. Puppies are cute. Flowers are pretty. None of these obvious facts have anything to do with what I'm (pointlessly, apparently) talking about.

Aaaanyway, let me try and drag this whole thing back to my original point, which is: we've already done three humbuckers; what's the harm in giving something else a try this one time? If anyone has an actual answer to this, I'd be happy to see it.
                                I already answered your question. There isn't enough interest in it.

If you don't believe me, set up a runoff poll and see what happens.

Twitter:
                                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                                X