banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What kind of forum special pickup could and would you take?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    And $150 for a production set sounds even more reasonable. Why not make a neck model and offer a Brobucker set, and a '78 set?
    Regarding even the pricing of production models, I feel as if it hasn't increased substantially in years. I wonder if that's because the R&D was front loaded and as time went on it was paid off, so prices didn't need to increase with inflation.

That said, what were production model prices like in the 80s? I really only started looking in the late 90s.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
      Regarding even the pricing of production models, I feel as if it hasn't increased substantially in years. I wonder if that's because the R&D was front loaded and as time went on it was paid off, so prices didn't need to increase with inflation.
      That would be it. Later in the product life, the margin's higher.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I think the Z90, ZD90, or whatever it is going to be called is a cool concept. IDK if I'd be on bored to get one just yet, as I have what I need at the moment... but sounds cool nonetheless. I'd definitely love to hear the ending results.

As far as the pricing issue that's being discussed, I think of it like this.. Even though there is a vast majority of us that do believe that stock pickups suck. And there's nothing like a fresh set of SD's, or the like, in the music making world as we know it, the guitar itself is the necessity, not a new pickup. And with the abundance of pickups out there, putting a new one into regular production regardless of appeal, is like selling ice to eskimos. I'm sure if the demand grows, a regular production model would eventually hit the shelf.. and the production model price tags. Not trying to stir the pot.. just sayin..

Now, please let the Z90 discussion continue... The ideas being thrown around are pretty sweet.

Comment

And $150 for a production set sounds even more reasonable. Why not make a neck model and offer a Brobucker set, and a '78 set?
          You are a cheap mutha!

A 59 set can be bought as a package deal without covers for about 140 or so and that is a HUGE bargain IMO.

If you want a Brobucker or 78 set just order them.

I mean really...if you have 4 or 5 guitars, 2 amps, a few pedals and a box full of pickups, which seems go be fairly normal for the cats in this forum how can you piss and moan about 300 for a set of hand made in the USA pickups?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
            You are a cheap mutha!

A 59 set can be bought as a package deal without covers for about 140 or so and that is a HUGE bargain IMO.

I mean really...if you have 4 or 5 guitars, 2 amps, a few pedals and a box full of pickups, which seems go be fairly normal for the cats in this forum how can you piss and moan about 300 for a set of hand made in the USA pickups?!

We should all be glad we aren't classical musicians whose instruments cost more than our homes!
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post

That said, what were production model prices like in the 80s? I really only started looking in the late 90s.
              That would be it. Later in the product life, the margin's higher.
              No, while generally true as a blanket statement, in all of my experiences that's actually false for our industry. It's manufacturing improvements and volume that have kept the prices down. If you reeeeally want to nerd out, read this industry magazine article (with some other people you'll recognize) from 2010 where I talk a little about it.
              Wholesaler Guide A u g u s t 2 0 1 0www.mmrmagazine.com Tie-In Sales and Repeat Business via Aftermarket Pickups Show Report: 19th Annual NEW, DIGITAL VERSION www.mmrmagazine.com

I think those classic humbuckers were about $50 in the "beginning" which was late 70s early 80s. The fact that they're still $80-$90 today without sacrificing quality (actually improving quality and consistency in most cases) is remarkable. But unlike cellphones, microwaves, and DVD players, it's not because the R&D was front loaded. In fact, as a product developer myself, that's not how I do it. If you guys remember, I'd said before that even on the Zephyrs that sure, there was normal profit margin percentages applied, but they were not priced to include any of the R&D expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                Now this MIGHT be just as simple as winding a humbucker to the right specs and have both coils have screw poles and just take out three on each side and then put a metal casing on it.
                Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                No, I wouldn't be on board with lots of dead coil space. I think it waters down a pickup.
                uOpt is right. You can't do it that way. (well, you can, but its not effective. The extra coil, even with no poles, is greatly affected by the stray flux. Magnetism from the neighboring poles has a return path. There will be all kinds of negative comb filtering and general "tone sucking" from those coil wires remaining active, even though to a lesser extent. In addition to all that, there's the extra loading applied to the coils from the extra wire, and the distributed capacitance build-up affecting the resonant peak. Or just think about it like this: The sound from the 3 strings you want; it has to pass around a bunch of wire with sound you don't want. If you want to know what a pole-less coil sounds like, take a guitar with a coil split (that splits to a screw coil) and pull all 6 screws. You'll hear just how much audio it's capable of producing just from the residual flux produced by the base magnet and the neighboring poles.

There's an added benefit of a 3x3 design like this. With the right magnetic circuit, the series tone could target P90 sounds, and the parallel tone would target single coil sounds. But you guys talking about the labor are right. The bobbins would have to be made of Forbon or cut down from HB bobbins. It's more labor but as someone else mentioned, a larger batch order could make it easier for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                  I want one too, I bet it would be awesome especially with a tap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                  I'd be up for that too - wonder if we could arrange for a short run for a few of us?
                  Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                    uOpt is right. You can't do it that way. (well, you can, but its not effective. The extra coil, even with no poles, is greatly affected by the stray flux. Magnetism from the neighboring poles has a return path. There will be all kinds of negative comb filtering and general "tone sucking" from those coil wires remaining active, even though to a lesser extent. In addition to all that, there's the extra loading applied to the coils from the extra wire, and the distributed capacitance build-up affecting the resonant peak. Or just think about it like this: The sound from the 3 strings you want; it has to pass around a bunch of wire with sound you don't want. If you want to know what a pole-less coil sounds like, take a guitar with a coil split (that splits to a screw coil) and pull all 6 screws. You'll hear just how much audio it's capable of producing just from the residual flux produced by the base magnet and the neighboring poles.

There's an added benefit of a 3x3 design like this. With the right magnetic circuit, the series tone could target P90 sounds, and the parallel tone would target single coil sounds. But you guys talking about the labor are right. The bobbins would have to be made of Forbon or cut down from HB bobbins. It's more labor but as someone else mentioned, a larger batch order could make it easier for them.
                    THAT'S why I was skeptical.

Comment

You are a cheap mutha! I mean really...if you have 4 or 5 guitars, 2 amps, a few pedals and a box full of pickups, which seems go be fairly normal for the cats in this forum how can you piss and moan about 300 for a set of hand made in the USA pickups?!
                      So, your time of the month again is it? Retaining water, cramps? Take a Midol and come back in a better mood.

Speaking of cheap, you've been in the Trading Post for weeks begging for a deal on a used PU. How about practicing what you preach? This is really pretty comical.
                      Last edited by blueman335; 03-15-2014, 08:33 PM.
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Guys, there's no need to take jabs at each other. We're working towards a common goal so chill out, we aren't Oasis
                         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

You are a cheap mutha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          So, your time of the month again is it? Retaining water, cramps? Take a Midol and come back in a better mood.

Speaking of cheap, you've been in the Trading Post for weeks begging for a deal on a used PU. How about practicing what you preach? This is really pretty comical.
                          Ugh, you both suck.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
                            Guys, there's no need to take jabs at each other.
                            C'mon now, don't be a killjoy just when thing started to get funny!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                              C'mon now, don't be a killjoy just when thing started to get funny!
                              +1. Christian's providing comic relief.

Comment

I noticed that you saved the ad hominem attacks for those of us you REALLY love.

You should PM Christian if you want to know all the CS Duncans he's bought over the years. Truth is, just because he wants a used pup for a project doesn't mean he's cheap.

I didn't start a sentence with a proposition this time. Are you happy now Mr. Grammarian?
                                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
                                X