Help choose humbuckers with right measurements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choose humbuckers with right measurements

Hi guys. This is my 1st post, beginner's question. I read the SD note on the difference between the trembuckers and humbuckers, where they speak about approximate measurements over the strings to detremine which ones to get, but I cannot find the hb pole-to-pole measurements on 3 options I saw.

I measured "middle of the string to the middle of the string" over the bridge hb and I have 50.5mm (~2inches), while over the neck hb the distance is 48 mm (which should be about 1.889inches). [edit: made a mistake in the original posting, wrote 505mm (2 inches) and 480mm (18.897 inches)] The guitar belongs to my son, its a BC Rich Metal Master Warlock, and I am thinking to upgrade it a bit. He mainly plays metal, but I want him to try some other stuff too, for versatility, and he seems to be ok with that.

So, I found the following three options (the guitar has red flames, so i thought to get him red humbuckers, that's why this limitation to 3 only), but I do not know about the pole distance measurements for them:
    1. the traditional SH-4 JB and SH-2n
    2. SD SH-10
    3. SH-8

Taking into account my measurements (2 inches bridge and 1.889 neck), which ones of these three would fit better?
    Last edited by freelance; 03-09-2014, 10:12 PM.

Re: Help choose humbuckers with right measurements

You'd want the model designation to be "TB" instead of "SH". It only matters for the bridge position, the neck can be a "SH" model.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Big Flannel, ehmmm, I made a measurement mistake - the spacing on the bridge is 2 inches (or to be exact 50.5mm). But now that I checked, I see that this is closer to Seymour Duncan site recommendation for HB (50mm =approx.2 inches spacing for a HB) on the bridge, while for TB they recommend 52.6mm=2.070inch. Does this change things from your perspective?

Just for clarification, don't know if it helps, I currently have a Duncan Performer there, which to my eye is just a tiny-tini bit larger than than the string spacing.

Comment

Hmm...I know I had a hard time sizing my most recent pickup, a sh-5 custom. I went with the standard spacing and I should have gone with the wider trembucker spacing.

All in all it's a small difference but it works fine. Some people say the difference is purely cosmetic, while others say it makes a difference in the pickup's sound.

If you're positive about your measurements go with standard.

Also, check the manufacturer's website for details on the guitar, if available they'll give you the string spacing measurement at the bridge.
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Wrote yesterday to BC Rich, still waiting for a response.
          In the meantime I am going through SD website and listening to Keith Merrows' play with different humbuckers, to determine which humbucker sounds better to me
          I am a bit more inclined now towards SH-6 Distortion. Will try to find their spacing, though its not that easy at it seemed when I started this thread.
          It looks like there can not be an ideal fit, but if anyone has the pole spacing or a link to it on the above mentioned SDs it would be very much appreciated!

Comment

Since there is not much else to do, will write to SD, as it seems.

Comment

If your spacing over the bridge pu is 50.5mm, a 50mm spaced bridge pu will work fine. The strings don't have to be absolutely dead center over the screws and slugs to get full output. But an F/trem-spaced pickup (52-53mm) would work too. However the one advantage of the 50mm pickup is that you wouldn't get any drop-out on string bends whereas with a 52-53mm pickup, the E-strings might sit a little to the inside of center and even though the strings don't really move that much over the bridge pickup on string bends, you might get a tiny bit of dropout.

Neck pickups don't ever require F-spacing because -- as you have found -- the spacing over the neck pickup is always tighter.
              Generic signature line.

Comment

I found that out the hard way but the trembucker I have in the neck lines up pretty well. Not as well as a SH would but it still works no string volume lost that I can hear.
                Originally posted by KBliss
                WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                Originally posted by trevorus
                The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

OK. No reply to my emails from either the BCRich or Seymour Duncan. What a way to treat customers! Thank you B.C. Rich and Seymour Duncan... not. I just remebered where i Placed my old BCRich humbuckers which I pulled from my guitar. I will measure them as well, and after that decide, probably on the basis of Zhangliqun and Big Flannel suggestions - to you goes my true thank you!

Comment

50mm center to center is standard spaced, which is a sh-6. A TB-6 would work as well, though IMO, a standard space would be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X