Best Magnets for 498T/490R combo in Epi Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Magnets for 498T/490R combo in Epi Les Paul

Been reading past posts and it seems the A5 is recommended for the neck- I don't mind the current sound from the 498T but see room for improvement

Mainly playing hard rock/ older metal and have a5, UOA5, A8 and "used" A2 and ceramic magnets on the bench

Thinking A5 neck and A8 bridge?

Guitar is an Epi Custom Prophecy GX

Re: Best Magnets for 498T/490R combo in Epi Les Paul

I had a LP custom that I switched the 498 and 57 classic's magnets. Gave the 57 much more clarity and less grittiness and warmed up the 498 and made it a bit more vintage sounding. Kinda like a Gibson equivalent to a custom custom.
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by pflug View Post
      Thinking A5 neck and A8 bridge?
      +1. Excellent choice. That's the Gibson equivalent of a C8 and '59N. I tried a 498T with an A2 in an SG, with 500K's, and it didn't have much bite; the high-end was dull and rounded. Would have been worse in an LP. I much prefer an A8 for the shaper high-end. A5's open up 490R's and give them more clarity and definition.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Another option for the 490R (if you want a curious crossover) is to stick a short A5 in there. If you have a lower K rated 490R this will turn it essentially into a Gibson T-top.

Comment

Nice low cost option. I knew there was a correct answer - I was gonna guess A5/A8
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I just swapped the magnets between the pickups and I couldn't be happier with how much more even everything sounds. The 498T warmed up with the A2 and the 490R shed it's muddy character with the A5. Both sing through all kinds of gain settings and EQ curves.

Comment

You would likely love a Pearly Gates neck and an A2P bridge.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by mysquaredontfit View Post
                I just swapped the magnets between the pickups and I couldn't be happier with how much more even everything sounds. The 498T warmed up with the A2 and the 490R shed it's muddy character with the A5. Both sing through all kinds of gain settings and EQ curves.
                This is exactly what I did when I had this set in my LP. It's just such a simple and perfect upgrade.

Sent from my chromed robot turd, using the miserable junk code known as crapatalk.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                Originally posted by Securb
                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                X