R8 Gets a New Look and Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 Gets a New Look and Tone

A while back a buddy of mine got me some 80s butyrate 59s. They are wax potted too, so I'd say they are a pretty rare bird.

I just wanted to say I've played 59s in a plethora of guitars. Mostly double cuts of one type or another and they always sound pretty good. I never put them in my Les Paul because I've always figured myself more of an A2 guy. I had these in my SG Special and decided to give em a try in R8 since I was selling the SG.

Wow....I know how Analog Mike (I believe) felt when he was going over a guitar that sounded killer and he thought had a real PAF. We've seen them countless times, but until you experience them in a good LP you forget how extraordinary they actually are. I pulled out my Seth/Seth parts '78 and was pretty amazed what a drop in output/power I had going from A2 wound to 9K going down to A5 wound to 8.1k I wouldn't have thought 30yrs +/- would be that significant not to mention the gauss on the '78 reads just a tad higher than the Ants' gauss.

So anyhow I went from Zebras to Dbl black. I went from unpotted vintage hot to potted and pretty straight vintage.

Anyhow, in closing I just wanted to give a little shout out to the hot girl next door we've seen for years and sometimes forget. I wish I could talk to some guys who were there when the first 59s came out in the 70s and heard them against t-tops or their old bursts.
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Re: R8 Gets a New Look and Tone

[IMG][/IMG]
    I own a 2007 red R8. Recently I put a Seth Neck and a Ant Bridge with RCA2 in it. Both in double cream....

Sorry not yet a recent pic...
    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I love them red R8's...

Cool!

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

It's cool to see that guitar with all three options.

I'm surprised 59's don't get more love on the forum, but I guess many are always onto the newest thing. I'm sure your 59 set is exactly as it was envisioned by Seymour, not just a production line pickup.

What did the prior owner use them in, and what is that amp-like thing behind the guitar?
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          It's cool to see that guitar with all three options.

I'm surprised 59's don't get more love on the forum, but I guess many are always onto the newest thing. I'm sure your 59 set is exactly as it was envisioned by Seymour, not just a production line pickup.

What did the prior owner use them in, and what is that amp-like thing behind the guitar?
          You know what, I have no idea what they came out of! I'll ask and see if he knows. Lol

The amp looking thing came from one of those "things you never knew existed but desperately need" catalogs. It's a cabinet!!
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Working...
          X