banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

serious question, slug related, gotta play the disability card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serious question, slug related, gotta play the disability card.

Hello Forum Folks, (for the bridge pup)
    O.K. - disability card 'cause with four broken vertebrae and fusions, pickup work can cause extra pain (from sitting,twisting, checking etc. restringing, etc.-it all adds up) so don't want to try something if my theory is flawed. I love my Seth W/A5 mag. A2 too "soft". Don't wanna get into a mag swap merry -go-round, can't do it. So, theory- in the '60's & '70's I always took my t-tops apart and physically pushed up the slugs to match the arc of the screws for as much "oomph" and power as possible. That was then. Now there are pedals that number the stars of the night sky for more power when needed.
    So, I miss the mids of my A5 pick up, love all else. Research says A4 a crap shoot-etc. How about this. no cover. pickup not too close, but turn SCREWS DOWN below surface of bobbin on my B&G strings (not much mid there) and bump UP slug side therefore giving me me in reality a little less brittle sound (slugs being closer to neck obviously). My top E string fine as is- balanced w/my slug. As pickup is lower on bass side by a pretty good margin just leave slugs alone and RAISE SCREWS to give low E,A, more focus and treble. The D string is fine where it is give or take.
    In theory, this sounds to me me like a no cost way to keep my A5 crunch and maximize the the strings that need more mids, and help the lower strings that could use less "boominess" and more focus.
    If I am wrong please tell me why, all criticisms welcome. Willing to try, but not worth the pain if it is not worth the effort.
    Steve Buffington (got a chance to lay live soon, time to batten down all hatches, as I don't get much chance to do so anymore)

Re: serious question, slug related, gotta play the disability card.

sorry to hear about your back, i can see why you want to get this right the first time. sitting in front of your amp with a screwdriver while balancing your guitar in your lap may not be a good idea.

i think what you're considering is a good idea, but would leave the slugs alone until you've tried lowering the adjustable screw poles.
    raise the pickup, lower the poles, and see how you like it; as long as the slugs remain secure (ie don't vibrate due to looseness), i can't think of any reason why raising them wouldn't work for you.

i accidentally fitted an LP bridge pickup backwards in its ring once,

the slug side sat much higher than the screw side, and it sounded great.

Comment

Hey,
      Yes, I considered that. I do that with bridge pickup (SH-2 JAZZ neck) with the screws nearest the bridge, cover on, it gets a tad bit more midrange (subtle), and it looks cool. A Bridge humbucker w/the screws nearest the neck, look like someone has their ass on backwards. It just don't look right. So, I tried it already, the way you said, but alas, I am in a condo and have no place on this earth to try it out at the volume I will be at. Which will be a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, 1st channel(clean) up to 4 for a little tube breakup running thru a G12 greenback, and a Vintage 30 (both original from the early 70's or so) and my "Magic Double Sparkle Drive" set up-the 1st one for a little grit and the 2nd one for a clean only (klon-like) boost for solos. The usual slight reverb and occasional echo apply.
      So please keep comments coming-good or bad, it's all knowledge. Except for downright insults, which no longer bother me. So thanks for replying dr. ad.
      Steve B. P.S. on this disability thing, any injury or pain which I get from serious sit down pick up stuff, not only does it hurt, which I could and can take, but with this type of trauma, the pain stays for about 3-4 days at a level pain pills down reach, and Phys.Ther. doesn't help. Not trying to whine, it is just so you know, there is a price to pay when I do a project like this. Many I just do 'cause I have to, but something like this it is good to have input first.-SB
      Last edited by SJ318; 03-13-2014, 12:01 AM. Reason: defining disability in my case

Comment

i didn't mean to suggest you fit it backwards, just that i've had good results with high slugs and low screws.
        as good as it sounded, i couldn't leave it like that either
        : ]

re using pedals, have you considered setting them up at chest-height? could save some lateral movement

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
          Hello Forum Folks, (for the bridge pup)
          O.K. - disability card 'cause with four broken vertebrae and fusions, pickup work can cause extra pain (from sitting,twisting, checking etc. restringing, etc.-it all adds up) so don't want to try something if my theory is flawed. I love my Seth W/A5 mag. A2 too "soft". Don't wanna get into a mag swap merry -go-round, can't do it. So, theory- in the '60's & '70's I always took my t-tops apart and physically pushed up the slugs to match the arc of the screws for as much "oomph" and power as possible. That was then. Now there are pedals that number the stars of the night sky for more power when needed.
          So, I miss the mids of my A5 pick up, love all else. Research says A4 a crap shoot-etc. How about this. no cover. pickup not too close, but turn SCREWS DOWN below surface of bobbin on my B&G strings (not much mid there) and bump UP slug side therefore giving me me in reality a little less brittle sound (slugs being closer to neck obviously). My top E string fine as is- balanced w/my slug. As pickup is lower on bass side by a pretty good margin just leave slugs alone and RAISE SCREWS to give low E,A, more focus and treble. The D string is fine where it is give or take.
          In theory, this sounds to me me like a no cost way to keep my A5 crunch and maximize the the strings that need more mids, and help the lower strings that could use less "boominess" and more focus.
          If I am wrong please tell me why, all criticisms welcome. Willing to try, but not worth the pain if it is not worth the effort.
          Steve Buffington (got a chance to lay live soon, time to batten down all hatches, as I don't get much chance to do so anymore)
          You should consider to have a 12-screw p'up made, so all you need is a screwdriver to get the setup just the way you like it.

HTH,

Comment

^ yes, i can see how a new pickup with 12 adjustable screw poles is exactly what a guy with a bad back needs.
            go on.

Comment

Hi,
              I agree with the 12 screw idea, but that would not really be free at this point. Pedals are back friendly, no worries there. When I play, I agree in my mind I'm gonna hurt like hell for a couple weeks, but I think everyone here would agree-playing live is worth it. Can't stand chairs-gotta stand & move. I can do it, just can't walk for a few days. Fair trade, I get some ego boost, a couple slaps on the back, maybe an age inappropriate offer, all the good stuff. My favorite-"I thought you were dead?" Can't buy that kind of cool. Once or twice a year-solo on "Steppin' out"-I am in and pay big money for a roadie.
              Mr. Kojak, Mr. ad- on point with this Seth A5. Bottom line, for now, using the method at hand, sound good though? Good enough to tweak before show time? I trust you guys. Maybe later, in a couple months, I might have to re-think this A5 mag. But got no time now.
              Steve B.

Comment

Good enough to tweak before show time?
                Steve: if there's something you DON'T EVER DO BEFORE SHOW TIME is to "tweak" something in your guitar's setup. You get your p'ups installed, you tweak'em until they're balanced, then you write the settings and use'em after every string change. Same process after every magnet change, if any.

How do I know? Just from my experience of almost thirty years as a pro, with an average of 250 gigs a year.

For the record, last years I've dropped the idea of a 12-screw neck p'up... then the shredders took over, resulting in the Fuglybucker.

Oh, well... you just can't make sense in a public Forum, I guess?

HTH,

Comment

I know exactly what you mean, Pepe, I played 15 years on the road so I didn't mean right before the gig. I just meant in general before showtime, I'll be getting a few rehearsals in, just wanted your take on this particular idea, that's all.
                  Beyond buying a new pickup entirely or taking time to re think what I might need to change to keep a similar sound but w/more mids, just looking for approval or maybe a different way to manipulate what I have at the moment.
                  I used to have a good back, played 5 days a week all over the west coast, for princely sums of up to $100 dollars a week sometimes! Needless to say, on one hamburger a day, weight was never an issue.
                  So, any specific thoughts for the immediate future? Or just go with what I'm doing now and rethink things later on.
                  Although you have not seen me, I am really not as dumb as I look.
                  Steve

Comment

go with what I'm doing now and rethink things later on.
                    If I was you, I'd do that.

If you were in Europe, I'd made that double-screw Seth bridge for you, Steve. Unfortunately, you're too far away, both cost-wise (the exact double of american prices)and time-wise (three- to five weeks waiting time) to send you something.

HTH,
                    Last edited by LtKojak; 03-13-2014, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Not sure if this'll help you out, but here's how to convert a pup to double screw:

3/16" nylon inserts go in the slug holes because the screws are smaller than the slugs. Be careful popping the slugs out, some of them are in there pretty tight. Clean the slug holes of wax with a Q-tip. The inserts get super glued in the slug holes. A metal bar (stew-mac for standard, ampge for f-spaced) goes underneath the slug bobbin to transfer the magnetic field thru the screws up to the strings. Be careful pushing it into place, because wax under the bobbin can be pushed into the wires on the other side of the pup. And those wires are tiny!

Cut the inserts down to 5-7mill. This will allow the screw head to lower down into the bobbin without hitting the insert. Put the inserts in, push them down till they hit the metal transfer bar. ONLY THEN apply the glue around the rim of the insert AFTER it is all the way down in the hole. If you apply it before putting the insert in, hydrolic pressure will force most of the glue out onto the surface of the bobbin. This=BAD.

After getting the inserts glued in, place the pup in front of a small fan for overnite. If you don't the glue's fumes will mar the surface of the bobbin, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! lol.

The screw heads have to be ground down to fit in the slug holes. Do this before putting them in the pup. Duncan screws (#5-40 fillister) are almost impossible to grind down (at least with my file and dremel). May be the case with stew-mac screws also. So you might need a heavy duty file for that one. Stewmac carries the screws in nickle, kind of expensive tho (50-75 each cents I think). Fastenal has them for around 10 cents each, but only in bright zinc (which is easy to grind down). Make sure they are magnetic if buying from a non-guitar distributor.

Wax up the screws before putting them (GENTLY) in the inserts or they might break the glue seal and just spin in place.

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Fritz6; 03-13-2014, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks Fitz6, Lt. Kojack, dr.ad,
                        All of this is good advice, Fitz6 really went deep, thanks. dr.ad, thank you for the 180 pickup turn input, and Lt. Kojak, as a maker, later on, maybe you wouldn't mind having a chat about things you would know about using what I have now or knowing what I like from reading this, and maybe have a suggestion or two for a bigger change to add mids to what I already like.
                        Thanks to all, let's call it a thread, and we'll mix it up later. Ciao (hope I spelled that correctly)!
                        Steve Buffington

Comment

Working...
                        X