Difference between the Custom and the Distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between the Custom and the Distortion

Just put a Custom and '59 in my LP Standard and like the way it sounds...had experence with this setup years ago and liked it. Went to band practice last night and noticed it sounded a little thin....I have a Distortion and Jazz set coming next week and was wondering how much fatter the Distortion sounds compared to the Custom...opinions?

Re: Difference between the Custom and the Distortion

The Custom sounded thin? What are you playing out of? A 1x1 speaker?
    -IM

Comment

You might want to try raising the Custom a bit, to get more fatness and output. It really shouldn't sound thin in an LP at all.

The Distortion has a bit of a fatter low end, but it's a bit tighter than the Custom. The midrange of the Distortion is slightly scooped in the lower mids, and more present/screams in the upper mids (in a good way). highs are more or less the same, but a bit more compressed on the Distortion.

Due to the narrow focus of the Distortion's midrange in the upper mids, it might seem not as loud as the Custom, but it's actually got more overall output.

Comment

What gear are you playing through? Even when I run mine through a 5w bugera it's still thick as Rosie O'donnell
         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
          You might want to try raising the Custom a bit, to get more fatness and output. It really shouldn't sound thin in an LP at all.

The Distortion has a bit of a fatter low end, but it's a bit tighter than the Custom. The midrange of the Distortion is slightly scooped in the lower mids, and more present/screams in the upper mids (in a good way). highs are more or less the same, but a bit more compressed on the Distortion.

Due to the narrow focus of the Distortion's midrange in the upper mids, it might seem not as loud as the Custom, but it's actually got more overall output.
          I had the pu set at about 1/8" from the strings. Playing through an Orange R30 Combo with 1X12 and a 1X12 entension cab

Comment

hmm... what string gauge and tuning?

Comment

hmm... what string gauge and tuning?
              10-46 standard tuning

Comment

From my experience, it really depends on amp.. to try different to see what you like better is the solution. Distortion sounds best with my Blackstar HT-5, and Blackheart Handsome Devil. but not really good with Ceriatone Marshall JCM 800 2204. Custom sounds very good with all that three amps i have, ok maybe a little less good with Blackstar HT-5. But, Jazz on neck sounds good with all the amps i got. my advice, try and record those two pickup combos with the amp you have, and then deicide which one you like more Custom is a bit darker pickup than Distortion. so it goes well with brighter sounding amps, in my case JCM 800 2204.
                Last edited by Lux84; 03-15-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frtbzz View Post
                  10-46 standard tuning
                  yeah that's strange. should be thick as hell.

perhaps the lack of thickness is coming from something else in your rig

Comment

yeah that's strange. should be thick as hell.

perhaps the lack of thickness is coming from something else in your rig
                    I was just thinking about this...I had a patch cord that was acting up....pulled it out halfway through. The thinness was apparent to me when we listened to playback after we recorded the practice.....cant remember if I pulled the patch cord before or after the recording lol...one too many beers maybe

Comment

I believe you should check your wiring. Make sure the red and white wires have a solid solder joint. It kinda sounds like you're running in parallel or maybe even split.
                      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Sounds like it could be a wiring issue. I've used both, and the Custom is definitely not thin. It has more of a PAF vibe than the Distortion. The Custom is a bit more balanced with a real "thump" in the low end. Power chords are monstrous with it and palm mutes are very percussive. Leads are have good bite and cut to them, yet are smooth.

The Distortion has less low end, and has more high mid spike. It is hotter, so it will push an amp more. It has more high end and more sizzle than the Custom. (The Custom is smoother) Leads have a bit more sparkle with the Distortion due to it's high end and high mid spike. It also has more high end, and I find myself dialing down the treble on my amp if I'm going from a guitar with the Custom to a guitar with the Distortion. If anything, the Distortion is a bit thinner (although not thin or wimpy) than the Custom on the low end. The Custom has more thump, the Distortion more bite and growl if that makes any sense.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Something is not right here.

The Custom will bring the bottom - assuming the guitar has some. The distortion is tighter, but the custom is tight. You may be misusing "Fat." The distortion has way more kids than the Custom. It will seriously cut through like a chain saw. The Custom's cut is only on the high end, similar to the distortion. So maybe you mean the distortion has a fuller high end from the miss on up. THAT makes sense. On the other hand - as said - depending on the guitar and amp, the Custom could flub the lows in a big way. Personally, I love them both, and could use either in the same situation, but would prefer one to the other.

Example: I'd play Metallica on both. But I'd use a custom for the Black album, and a Distortion for Ride the Lightning.

Disortion = Chunk
                          Custom = Thunp
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Custom should be pretty fat sounding. The highs are kinda shrill and will really come through, but overall the pup should sound huge.

Check your solder joints. Make sure the red and white wires are connected securely and not touching anything. If they are touching a ground anywhere then you are essentially running the Custom in split mode.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The Custom needs some mids to really shine. Try raising the mids on your amp and playing with the pickup height a bit. The Custom (or any pickup for that matter) can sound thin in a mix if you scoop the mids too much.
                              We spit on those who choose to pose, we thrash with all the rest!

Comment

Working...
                              X