1st wiring project in a long time...advice welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st wiring project in a long time...advice welcome

My local music store was clearing out some old stock so I thought it was time to try something different in my Mexican Strat.

I ended up with a Dimarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues (DP403) and a Seymour Duncan Classic Strat Plus. I also have a Hot Rails kicking around that I haven't used in quite a while. It's probably not an ideal combo, but I'm going to go the cheapest route for now!

I'm thinking of putting the Heavy Blues in the neck, the CS+ in the middle and the Hot Rails in the bridge and see how that works out.

I'm trying to decide if I should bother wiring it with coil splitting in positions 2 and 4. I assume that there will be hum issues if I split them?

I've been reading up on pickup phase and polarity over the last few days but I'm not sure I've got it down yet. Would the middle pickup have to be reverse wind, reverse polarity in my scenario to cancel any hum?

The Hot Rails is really the only one that I would like to split in hope that it might play a bit nicer with the CS+.

It should be interesting to see what sounds I end up with.

Re: 1st wiring project in a long time...advice welcome

So it looks like 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

The neck and bridge are working fine, but the Classic Strat Plus that I put in the middle is giving very low volume.

I measured the DC resistance and it reading about 196 Ohms, compared to roughly 9 Kohms for the Heavy Blues in the neck and roughly 16 Kohms for the HotRails in the bridge.

The ground connections look ok and I don't see anything else that looks unusual. I tried a few different wiring combos hoping it was something simple but so far no dice.

Could the pickup be broken? What would be the best way to test it?

Thanks!

Comment

If you measured the resistance of the pup while it was disconnected from the circuit, and it only read 196 ohms, then there is a short in the coil wire. It's a goner. Sorry.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think I measured the red and white wires while the black and bare ones were still soldered to the volume pot.

I'll take it out completely, measure it again and then take it back to the store if nothing has changed.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X