Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HB Suggestions for Muddy 335

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    And how many times have guys bad-mouthed imports and urged people to pony up for a Gibson?
    Agreed !! only difference is, you wont find me bad mouthing Certain quality instruments from overseas.. I own/ed enough to realize they're as good and far superior to north American builds for many times far less money.. Early Tokais, Ibanez etc.. got my vote !! The Chinese Eastman E20D I sadly just sold was the nicest acoustic I've ever played.. By Far !!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjunkie52 View Post
      Agreed !! only difference is, you wont find me bad mouthing Certain quality instruments from overseas.. I own/ed enough to realize they're as good and far superior to north American builds for many times far less money.. Early Tokais, Ibanez etc.. got my vote !! The Chinese Eastman E20D I sadly just sold was the nicest acoustic I've ever played.. By Far !!
      A friend of mine bought a new ES175 several years ago, for around $3,500. One tuner wouldn't turn and had to be replaced, a PU ring was installed backwards, and it didn't have any strap pins. Never seen that much wrong on an import.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        A friend of mine bought a new ES175 several years ago, for around $3,500. One tuner wouldn't turn and had to be replaced, a PU ring was installed backwards, and it didn't have any strap pins. Never seen that much wrong on an import.
        it's all good, as long as you don't mind Slave "LIKE" labor. I stressed LIKE here! Problem here is a lot of our american laborers have a poor work ethic. People are human and mistakes will happen, but those mistakes should not make it past the QC person. But mistakes can happen there too. I had, what I would call, an expensive Martin that was just as bad a situations as the 335 being discussed here. Difference is Martin took care of any issues it had. a Martin tech took one look at it and agreed it should have never left the building in that shape.

I for one will always buy american instruments and amplifiers. It's almost the only thing I will buy american anymore.

Comment

I own a great Japanese made Strat and Tele and I've played a few very nice Mexican Strats. The workmanship and wood work was first rate although I did eventually replace the pickups and electronics in those two MIJ guitars that I kept.

And I love my Chinese made Blueridge BR-163 acoustic and play it every time I perform on acoustic and I leave my old Taylors at home - although I love them too. The Blueridge sounds just as good and plays more easily.

Never have developed that kind of affection for import Epiphones though. Just never connected with one and I've played a bunch and worked on and replaced pickups and controls in several.

Love my 2000 ES-335 though. It's the equal of the 50's and 60's ES-335's and ES-355 I've owned. It does have upgraded controls and pickups, but just playing it acoustically is a joy.

In fact, I bought it without even plugging it in.

I'm not knocking the Import Epi's...just saying I've never connected enough with one to want to own it instead of my Gibson.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-18-2014, 10:07 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
            I own a great Japanese made Strat and Tele and I've played a few very nice Mexican Strats. The workmanship and wood work was first rate although I did eventually replace the pickups and electronics in those two MIJ guitars that I kept.

And I love my Chinese made Blueridge BR-163 acoustic and play it every time I perform on acoustic and I leave my old Taylors at home - although I love them too. The Blueridge sounds just as good and plays more easily.

Never have developed that kind of affection for import Epiphones though. Just never connected with one and I've played a bunch and worked on and replaced pickups and controls in several.

Love my 2000 ES-335 though. It's the equal of the 50's and 60's ES-335's and ES-355 I've owned. It does have upgraded controls and pickups, but just playing it acoustically is a joy.

In fact, I bought it without even plugging it in.

I'm not knocking the Import Epi's...just saying I've never connected enough with one to want to own it instead of my Gibson.
            Funny thing is LG, I owned the same Blueridge as you, and you couldn't pry that guitar out of my hands until I played the Eastman E20D, and again a Chinese built guitar.. I could care less where their made as long as the quality is there.. Very underrated guitar.. A friend of mine who's a good of flat picker as they come who also played the final tour with Stompin Tom Connors bugged me for 2 yrs to sell that Eastman to him, and Al's a man that own's some pretty high end guitars.. ya US only haha

I've owned and early 80's MIJ Fender tele, lawsuit era Ibanez 2618 Artist, and proud to now have a first run 78' Tokai ST60 Spring Sound natural finish zen ash, and honestly I don't care what part of the world these guitars were produced, they don't get any better.. If this Tokai was a US build, it would be a custom shop..

In regards to Gibson and their employees from the love I'm certainly not feeling with this Memphis built 335, pride in workmanship is not there, and its a disgrace..

Brought home a new Gibson SG "Special" last week to try and it's as low quality as any Epi and for $1000 tag, it's another thrown together low quality dog that truly shows Gibsons pride or more lack there of. !!

Up here in Canada we don't have Gibson reps we can call, we have to deal with Long and Mcquade, the Canadian Distributor for Gibson.. L&M own over 60 stores up here, and although the guys I deal with are like family, I imagine their hands are tied as to any comparable resolution to my dissatisfaction..

Maybe a P/U swap might do the trick, but this so called high end guitar has been a troublesome purchase since day one and not sure i'll ever gel with it... sad but true, and I'll take the financial hit and certainly not gibson...
            Last edited by Gearjunkie52; 03-18-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
              How does the guitar sound acoustically? I've never been one to believe that a guitar's acoustic tone has any bearing on its amplified tone
              perhaps you need your cochlear implant recalibrated.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

this thread has self destructed into the usual Gibson bashing and import vs usa mudslinging match.

To the OP:
                i have tried 5 different sets of pickups in my workhorse 335. If you want a more detailed discussion of matching a particular set to your axe, send me a PM and ill be happy to accommodate.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I just got off the phone with L&M dealer and explained my feelings about guitar and I think they just might be able/willing to work with me and wonder if going to a B Stock 339 might be a better alternative to the one I have.. I suppose the 339 are also lovingly made in Memphis also !!??

I'm not expecting a refund, but rather a guitar they stock that'll at least satisfy.. Thoughts ??

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjunkie52 View Post

In regards to Gibson and their employees from the love I'm certainly not feeling with this Memphis built 335, pride in workmanship is not there, and its a disgrace..

Brought home a new Gibson SG "Special" last week to try and it's as low quality as any Epi and for $1000 tag, it's another thrown together low quality dog that truly shows Gibsons pride or more lack there of. !!
                    That's a bummer. But around 1970 I owned a '58 ES-335 that was then only about 12 years old. It was a total dud. Paf pickups, 100% stock and a complete dud. Probably worth a fortune today, but still a dud. What are you gonna do? Some of 'em are winners and some of 'em are losers in every era.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

sorry to hear that LG, and if I were a rich man, I just might buy another and lean em against each other and watch em burn..

The few 339 demos ive brought home, I really enjoyed with the 57' classics, far brighter than what I currently own with more spank ta boot.. Are these 339 not made in same plant as 335

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        this thread has self destructed into the usual Gibson bashing and import vs usa mudslinging match.
                        Including by the OP. Relax.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

yes I know, get a bit too wound up, but hard pill to swallow and confident it'll work out one way or the other..

Wonder if the 336 is closer to what I'm after or possibly jazzy as the 335 I have... I see L&M has a B Stock for a few dollars more than my 335, sure is eye candy, but I've never had a chance to play one..

Comment

Working...
                          X