25.5" scale with Floyd rose trem neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25.5" scale with Floyd rose trem neck pickup

What are some of the issues with neck pups in guitars with 24 frets and Floyd roses? I've seen a few posts on the topic and read where the belief is that Duncan is lacking in pickups for this style. I'm going to be hitting the Custom Shop up for a neck pickup and would like to know some of the common problems.
    Hard Rock - gain on 5 - singing about good times.

Heavy Metal - gain on 10 - screaming about something.

---Gearjoneser
    he was trying to convince her to swing.

That's like taking a Ferrari to a mud bog.--Ginormous

Re: 25.5" scale with Floyd rose trem neck pickup

Floyd Roses don't usually pose the problem.

The problem is for people who grew up and are used to playing 22 or 21 fret guitars who are used to hearing a certain harmonic node when playing on the neck pickup have a problem with the placement of the pickup on a 24 fret guitar.

Some people put a bridge pickup in the neck or a pickup that emphasizes the higher order harmonics but their is really no way around it. For me this is not a problem because i'm used to 24 fret guitars and prefer them but can just as easily get along with 22 frets.
    Last edited by Rockstar216; 03-18-2014, 11:11 AM.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

^ yup.

Floyds aren't the problem at all.

with a 21/22 fret guitar, the neck pickup usually sits right about where the 24th fret would be (especially true on strats) That position tends to have a really full, sweet, soulful sound.

on a 24 fret guitar, the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge. It's not located right under the 24th-fret harmonic node, and as a result of being closer to the bridge in addition to that, it tends to be brighter, less sweet, and less soulful.

The only exception to this that I've seen is the 22 fret SGs that have the neck pickup a bit further back towards the bridge than the 24th-fret node. Close, but not right under it. It's warm, but not as complex and clear as it would be at the node. I found the best fix for that was a pickup with lots of mids and highs so it doesn't sound scooped and inarticulate.

Comment

Don't know, my ibby arz800 is 25" scale, 24 frets, and the EMG 60 in the neck is one of the sweetest pups i have. (same goes for Seymour Duncan Livewire neck, in a 25.5" 22 fret floyd rose Kramer 210)

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          Don't know, my ibby arz800 is 25" scale, 24 frets, and the EMG 60 in the neck is one of the sweetest pups i have. (same goes for Seymour Duncan Livewire neck, in a 25.5" 22 fret floyd rose Kramer 210)
          For sure. Always exceptions I suppose.
          -IM

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
            You can get a neck pup to sound sweet with a bit of EQ tinkering thats no so much an issue but harmonics is where you will hear and notice the differences.

Try and play the 3rd, 5th, and 7th, fret harmonics on a 24 fret guitar with the neck pickup selected and you will notice the lack of or how different they sound from other positions on that guitar and also the difference compared to a 22 fret guitars neck pup.
            Originally posted by KBliss
            WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
            Originally posted by trevorus
            The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

25.5" scale with Floyd rose trem neck pickup

I'm going to let MJ know the guitars specs and what I'm looking for from the pickup. I'm wanting a Brobucker type neck pickup. Something that has vintage mid-hot output with a thick defined tone. Hopefully she can hook me up.

---Gearjoneser

Comment

Sounds like you want a 78 neck....

Comment

Hadn't thought about that. How hot would that be?

---Gearjoneser

Comment

Originally posted by blindedbysilence View Post
                    Hadn't thought about that. How hot would that be?
                    as hot as you ask MJ to make it for you.

it is the 'custom' shop, after all.

Comment

Point taken. Should have thought first. I emailed them tonight, now the waiting begins.

---Gearjoneser

Comment

Joe Satriani uses a single-coil sized humbucker in his JS 24, which according to his testimony on YouTube, was chosen to compensate for the position of the neck pickup which is now closer to the bridge due to the 24-fret fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                          You can get a neck pup to sound sweet with a bit of EQ tinkering thats no so much an issue but harmonics is where you will hear and notice the differences.

Try and play the 3rd, 5th, and 7th, fret harmonics on a 24 fret guitar with the neck pickup selected and you will notice the lack of or how different they sound from other positions on that guitar and also the difference compared to a 22 fret guitars neck pup.
                          that was what i had in mind but failed to say. This neck EMG 60 can scream artificial harmonics everywhere. This is the most harmonics-effective neck pup in the house.

Comment

Working...
                          X