SD pickups in cheaper guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD pickups in cheaper guitars

I recently started playing electric and wasn't sure how much I would actually use my strat copy, so I bought a xavier from guitar fetish on recommendations from a friend. I was surprised at how well it looked and felt and even sounded for a 200 dollar guitar, but I have been smitten and don't have the money for a Fender of upper of mim or higher lineage and was wondering. If the guitar sounds pretty good now, would it justify an upgrade to like an everything axe pickguard. I feel it would sound amazing,was wondering what some other more experience guitarist think? It has a bolt on maple neck and ash body, with current sss configuration. Also I was wondering if the everything axe would have enough strat quack with those humbuckers. Thanks for any replies.

Re: SD pickups in cheaper guitars

Never tried the everything set but replacing cheap pickups with good pickups is usually a good idea if you like most things about your guitar except the pickups.

Good pickups can really improve the tone of most cheap but good guitars.

I do it all the time.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-19-2014, 09:54 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

1) the assumption cheap = bad is not true, well, at least is not always true. My 300$ Jag and Jazzmaster squiers are awesome guitars for example, they just needed some setup to work well, I did it by myself

2) the assumption "you must upgrade a guitar" is not true

3) before thinking about ANY so-called upgrade you have to play your guitar a lot before, and I really mean a lot, at home, in studio, with your band, in a gig situation, THEN you can really understand what are the pros and the cons of your instruments. You could discover for example that your guitar is perfect as is for what you are using it for, and this is not that uncommon.
      Last edited by marcello252; 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

yeah, good pickups can take a cheap guitar from "pretty good" to "sounds great, would gladly play any gig without any worries".

But the better question here is, what kind of tones do you want to get out of this guitar? because the Everything axe set is extremely versatile, but if you want a more traditional strat sound you could get a Classic Fully Loaded set, or if you want something super beefy for high gain playing, maybe a triple rails set.
        Last edited by CTN; 03-19-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Helping guitars sound their best, whether they cost $200 or $2,000, is what we do! If the stock pickups sound good enough to your ears then there's no problem with keeping them, but if you think there's room for improvement then the Everything Axe set is a solid way to go. The Duckbucker was made so that the 2 & 4 positions sound extrat quacky and you'll also notice more oomph in the bridge and neck.

Comment

Putting great pickups into "cheap" guitars is the story of my life. It's been a good life.

However, the story gets even better. Scan the Trading Post now. There's great pups for sale "cheap".
            There's a Custom 5 for $40. (Assuming I didn't snag it already.)

I've had great luck with "Duncan Designed" pups. It really doesn't take a lot of money to turn an inexpensive axe into a player.
            I know. I have a room full.

Artie

Let the modding begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              Never tried the everything set but replacing cheap pickups with good pickups is usually a good idea if you like most things about your guitar except the pickups.

Good pickups can really improve the tone of most cheap but good guitars.

I do it all the time.

YUP . . . same here.

None of my guitars have their original pick ups any more.

TV Jones transformed my lack luster full hollow Artcore into a jazz box that i can not put down once i pick it up.
              Same goes for my $500.00 SG. I gave it some Duncan A2P's and that guitars is now my go-to guitar.
              Those A2 magnets just does something for that guitar that no other pick has done.
              Pure Magic.
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
              X