banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UOC8 Anyone ever try them in place of a standard C8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UOC8 Anyone ever try them in place of a standard C8?

I just happened across a site that sells UOC8 magnets, http://addiction-fx.com/gallery1.htm I was wondering, as I have just put a standard C8 in a DD JB style pickup for my 7 string and love it, has anyone tried any swaps with the UOC8 in a JB or other pickup? Does it smooth out the high end sizzle a bit while still keeping the tight bass response? I was thinking of trying it in a JB that I tried an A8 in, but was disappointed with the loss of sustain and the loss of pinch harmonics. Looking for a bit more bottom for palm muting in a D tuning and maybe a little more sizzle, without the loss of the sweet lead tone. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I just get a Black Winter?

Re: UOC8 Anyone ever try them in place of a standard C8?

I think it was LtKojak with experience on the Un-Oreintated Ceramic 8 magnet. To my recollection, he said it was much more usable, with less qualities of the standard ceramic magnet (Ceramic 8) and more AlNiCo-like qualities. Kind of the best of both Ceramic and AlNiCo magnets if I remember correctly. He'll probably chime in eventually.

Comment

Re: UOC8 Anyone ever try them in place of a standard C8?

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I just happened across a site that sells UOC8 magnets, http://addiction-fx.com/gallery1.htm I was wondering, as I have just put a standard C8 in a DD JB style pickup for my 7 string and love it, has anyone tried any swaps with the UOC8 in a JB or other pickup? Does it smooth out the high end sizzle a bit while still keeping the tight bass response? I was thinking of trying it in a JB that I tried an A8 in, but was disappointed with the loss of sustain and the loss of pinch harmonics. Looking for a bit more bottom for palm muting in a D tuning and maybe a little more sizzle, without the loss of the sweet lead tone. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I just get a Black Winter?
      The UOC8 mag is kinda weak, going in-between an A2 and an UOA5, output-wise.

The magnetic field is very focused and stable; for my taste it's NOT dynamic at all, but I'm positive a lot of players would LOVE it exactly for the same reason.

The tone is kinda interesting, somehow similar to an A5, but without the "mid scoop". The tonal outcome lying halfway between "Vintage" and "Modern", so to speak. The highs have a distinctive metallic ring in the background of the pick attack that's very pleasant to the listener, and the lows are firm and tight, never overwhelming.

*I* wouldn't use this particular mag in a p'up designed for modern Metal, but as *I* don't play modern Metal either, take my opinion FWIW.

HTH,
      Last edited by LtKojak; 03-21-2014, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X