banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antiquity II Surfer vs Vintage Rails vs SSL-1. For middle position.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antiquity II Surfer vs Vintage Rails vs SSL-1. For middle position.

I got a ESP HSS axe with basswood body and maple fingerboard and I loaded it with a TB-4 in bridge position and a Cool Rails in neck.
    Now I want a middle pickup just for clean tones. If possible, like vintage strat with some quack stuff and such.

I'm in doubt about those three pickups:
    1 - SSL-1 RWRP
    2 - Antiquity II Surfer
    3 - Vintage Rails

I haven't decided if I will split the JB and the CR, so it isn't as relevant. I can put a push-pull pot if necessary.

So, dudes, what do you say?

Re: Antiquity II Surfer vs Vintage Rails vs SSL-1. For middle position.

Would probably go with the rails so that it integrates a bit better with the cool rails both from a looks and from a "hifi sound" standpoint, and so that you don't have a single position that suddenly hums.

Comment

How about another Cool Rails in the middle? - have it (and the neck CR) wired up for Series/Parallel switching.

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
        How about another Cool Rails in the middle? - have it (and the neck CR) wired up for Series/Parallel switching.
        The CR wired in parallel sounds close to a VR?

Comment

I did not say it sounds close to a VR. Parallel wiring will thin out the sound of the pickup and get it closer to the sound of a single. Also should mix a little better (2 CR's each in parallel) - the VR is a weak pickup (Normally wired in parallel itself) and not sure how well it would mix with the CR wired normally.

Comment

Thanx.

Another doubt: If I put a true single coil in middle position and split the 2 humbuckers keeping only the North coils on, must the single coil be South up ?
            Is it just this to get hum canceling in #2 and #4 positions?

Asking this 'cause the SSL-1 is North up while the Antiquity II is South up and I'm a little confused about polarity.
            Last edited by Felipe Souza; 03-23-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Souza View Post
              Thanx.

Another doubt: If I put a true single coil in middle position and split the 2 humbuckers keeping only the North coils on, must the single coil be South up ?
              Is it just this to get hum canceling in #2 and #4 positions?

Asking this 'cause the SSL-1 is North up while the Antiquity II is South up and I'm a little confused about polarity.
              As long as you want the sound to be in-phase, yes.

Comment

Working...
              X