banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carvin Bolt Plus - Swamp Ash body - What Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Bolt Plus - Swamp Ash body - What Pickups?

I have a Carvin Bolt Plus guitar that I want to replace the pickups in.

Specs:
    Swamp ash body
    Maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard
    Stainless jumbo frets
    25 1/2" scale
    Double Humbucker (currently has C22J in the neck and C22B in the bridge)
    Direct mount pickups
    Floyd Rose bridge

I love the way the guitar plays, but don't really care for the sound. It is a little thin and just doesn't cut through with the band.
    I have a Carvin neck through (ST300) with the same pickups and it rocks, but it is a maple neck through, alder body, ebony fretboard, nickel frets. I thought for sure the ST would be the brighter guitar but I was wrong.

I have a Duncan Custom Custom and an old PATB-1 with alnico 8 magnet.
    I'd like to find a good neck pickup to go with one of these.
    I'm looking for a good all around tone, PAF PRO sort of vibe, with lots of sustain and harmonics. Very warm sounding, but not dark and muddy.
    I play lots of melodic clean stuff - I like bell like tones that cut through the mix, but stay warm
    I play lots of medium overdrive stuff - mostly rhythm stuff, but occasional mellow bluesy leads
    I play lots of heavy distortion stuff - odd chords, leads, etc. I want to hear every note in every chord.

The Tone Wizard suggests 59n and Jazz for everything. I've tried a few 59's and really liked them in an old PRS CE24, but didn't really think they were very special in most other guitars. I had a neck through Schecter with a Jazz in the neck and it was ok.

What do you guys suggest? I was thinking DiMarzio PAF PRO and Super Distortion or Tone Zone, but I already have 2 Duncan trembuckers sitting around.
    Last edited by Monsta-Tone; 03-21-2014, 10:09 AM.

Re: Carvin Bolt Plus - Swamp Ash body - What Pickups?

My guitar currently has this wiring: http://dimarzio.com/sites/default/fi..._ep1112web.pdf

500k Bourns pots
    .022 Orange Drop cap
    5-way super switch
    Switchcraft jack

Switch positions are:
    Neck - series
    Neck/bridge - inside coils (series I think)
    Neck/bridge - parallel
    Neck/bridge - outside coils (series)
    Bridge - series

Basically, I have 5 humbucking sounds. Not very much loss in volume between switch positions, which I really like.

Comment

Try what you've got, and see how they sound. *shrug*
      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I only have 2 bridge humbuckers. I'm looking for a neck humbucker that will sound good in this guitar and match one of the pickups I already have.

Comment

Wire one of them in parallel? And you have A5 from C22s for experiments.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
            I only have 2 bridge humbuckers. I'm looking for a neck humbucker that will sound good in this guitar and match one of the pickups I already have.
            How about trying one of the pups in the neck with an A3 mag....if still no bueno, then go buy another pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsta-Tone View Post
              Well, yeah, but first you might as well find out if you like either of the pickups you got in the bridge. Then you can shop to match in the neck.
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Working...
              X