X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked coils split vs. true singles

Hi guys,
    This applies both to guitar and bass.

Is there any difference between a split stacked hum canceling design and a true single coil (both in guitars and, say, a J bass?)

Keep in mind this is for a split hum canceling single vs. a true single, not for the entire stack.

To my ears, stacked singles in guitars do pretty well at sounding like a 70s single coil--bright, trebly, etc. But they don't seem to do a warm 50s sound that well.

I haven't tried the same on a bass.

Wondering if it's just my imagination. Probably not, because true singles wouldn't still be made if stacked singles split sounded exactly like true singles.

Thanks.

Re: Stacked coils split vs. true singles

My only point of personal comparison is a DiMarzio Fast Track 1 in the neck of a Kramer Focus 3000. In full-on series mode, it is thicker and more muscular than a true single, but when I split it via a mini-toggle it is certainly brighter and thinner than the neck position on my Strat, and the true single that used to be in the Focus. I'd compare the sound to picking closer to the bridge than the fretboard.

Others with more tech knowledge will have more explanation, but as far as what you hear, I think it's safe to say a split, stacked single will be slightly more anemic and percussive sounding. Not necessarily in a bad way; I used the split sound almost exclusively in a Colombian band last year and it was perfect for cutting through without being in the way of the other instruments.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Re: Stacked coils split vs. true singles

Assuming the true single coil and half of the stack were the same type of wire and number of winds, it will probably sound weaker because of the coil geometry in relation to the magnets field would be different, it would be short and wide and hug less of the magnet than a standard single coil whose coil is thin and tall and hugs the poles more completely, which I assume means less inductance and weaker output in the case of the split stacked coil.

Comment

Working...
      X