Single Coil Neck Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil Neck Recommendation

On my seemingly endless quest for universally great neck tone, I have now arrived at the station where I need to try some modern single coil designs.

Requirements:

CLEANS: glassy, sparkly, chimey, so that big chords don't sound muddy and there's plenty of headroom, but fat enough to make clean single note runs punchy and well bodied (i.e., not wimpy). I guess the classic Strat neck tone, but with a hair more muscle, tunable with the volume pot.

OVERDRIVE: enough head room to allow for nuances, Hendrix-style.

HIGH GAIN: this will be, I think, the tricky part - I'd like creamy, flutey tones, the kind you hear in the now-classic works of a man named Slash. In other words, the single coil character somehow magically fades away under high gain, and some humbuckerish magic happens at the same time.

Now, I'm well aware that having a pickup that can do the famous Strat glassy sparkle and the famous Les Paul creamy flute must be some sort of a Holy Grail (i.e., something to never be found, ever).

But what will get me the closest? The stacked design? The rails design? Another type of design? Where on the output spectrum should I look? Other things?

I've been through the split HB phase - cleans come close to single coil only in split mode, and we all know that's not it, through the P-90 phase (a Phat Cat - a brilliant p'up, but in a world of it's own, doesn't do any of the above as described), through the true single-coil phase (pretty amazing cleans, but no high-gain creaminess and flutey goodness). Not tried both a single and an HB in the neck (kind of like Steve Morse).

Please discuss and help a fellow. Specific examples very welcomed.

Thank you!

EDIT:

The Guitar: The pickup will be going in a 21-fret, 25.5'' scale hot Strat-ish build, maple + rosewood fretboard neck, mahogany body, hardtail bridge, 5-way superswitch and push-pulls will be available, so complex splitting/combinations are not a problem.
    Last edited by tgv1975; 03-21-2014, 03:48 PM.

Re: Single Coil Neck Recommendation

What guitar is this in? Most importantly how many frets does it have.

BTW you should look into the Riogrande true split series. They are basically 2 single coils tied together as a humbucker. When split they are perfect just like a single. Together they are great humbuckers. Will they do what you want? not sure you lose me with the creamy flute thing. If your after REAL PAF tones they wont do that but they do great humbucking tones.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

It sounds like you want a "hot" single coil, generally that means a coil with a DC resistence of 6.3k up to 7.5k, or so. Once you get around the 7's the high start to drop and the mids pick up to the point where you're putting a foot in humbucker territory but still have some chime and strat character. And I'd go for something with an A5 magnet to make sure it remains bright and versatile. On the bottom end of this range I'd put the SD Antiquity Surfers, at the top would be Lollar Special S. I don't do stacked humbuckers.

Comment

I guess I am talking about real PAF distorted tones, yes.

I'm not willing to go into boutique territory with this, I'm already too far down the rabbit hole as it is

The pickup will be going in a 21-fret, 25.5'' scale hot Strat-ish build, maple + rosewood fretboard neck, mahogany body, hardtail bridge, 5-way superswitch and push-pulls will be available, so complex splitting/combinations are not a problem.

(thanks for reminding me, I had omitted this information in the OP, I updated it)

Comment

Originally posted by tgv1975 View Post
          I'm not willing to go into boutique territory with this, I'm already too far down the rabbit hole as it is
          In that case, the Seymour Duncan SSL-52 Five-Two sounds like a safe bet:

DC Resistance: 6.7 k
          Resonant Peak: 8.2 KHz

That puts it right between vintage and flame thrower. Here's a sound clip I just found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0BZgD8r-I . For comparison, the popular "vintage true" SSL-1 has a peak at 10KHz and the SSL-5 Custom has a peak of 4.9 KHz.
          Last edited by DreX; 03-21-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Those sound pretty sweet clean. Not sure about the high gain bit, though...

Comment

What amp are you playing through.
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

If you're worried about high gain, then a hot bridge is the common solution. SD's next step up is a pretty big leap though, the SSL-5 with a DCR of 12.9k, nearly double that of the SSL-52, and a peak resonance of 4.9 KHz, a drop of over 3 kHZ. It would be great in the bridge, but will over power anything you'd put in the neck and middle. It can be tapped, but I don't think you'd opt to tap the coil too often, a tapped bridge usually sounds pretty harsh. Before going with that, I'd look at Di Marzio Red Velvet http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/stra...rat/red-velvet, DCR of 8.52k puts it above the SSL-52 but way below the SSL-5 and all the other super hot winds. I have a set of these, they're great for the bridge, but a little too "velvety" for the neck and middle.
                Last edited by DreX; 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                  What amp are you playing through.
                  Currently mainly modellers, mostly studio environment. I'm exploring a lot of tonal ground, and I'm open to any solutions that will give my what I'm after.

Comment

Try Stag Mag in the neck position maybe? The design looks promising but I'm not sure if it's gonna work for you, especially the creamy flutey hb part. It has A2 magnet like A2Pro/Slash set though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SH-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	5776559

Comment

Originally posted by tgv1975 View Post
                      Currently mainly modellers, mostly studio environment. I'm exploring a lot of tonal ground, and I'm open to any solutions that will give my what I'm after.
                      2 guitars with different pickups. Sometimes you need a flat screw driver sometimes you need a phillips trying to force the flat to do the phillips job will only get you a stripped screw. I can get you killer tones for half of you want but the other will be a compromise at best. Choose which you want to compromise.

The stag mag that elepe suggested is similiar to the Riograndes that I suggested and are all excellent pickups they will be the closest to what you want.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Thanks for all your answers.

Some of them tell me it's impossible - I know. But what will get me the closest?

I'm contemplating routing an HB cavity right near the neck single (or just extend the single rout), which would put a neck humbucker (or a single coil sized HB) about where it would be on a 24-fretter. Magnetic pull may become an issue. Also, what happens to the tone if I place two pickups (a single and an HB) practically in the same cavity, in contact with each other (i.e. subject to the other's magnetic interference)? That's kind of a P-Rail neck, come to think about it...

Comment

I think the yjm fury neck is great for high gain as you describe it, quacks nice in split mode with an ssl-1 in the middle, its weakness is clean tone but I still need to try it in split mode for posotion 5. Stk-s6 has more chime and good quack in notch position, it is not as fat as the fury. Maybe using an onboard mids booster could be something to explore?
                          Edit: or maybe a prail fliped to get a more realistic single coil when split? I think they wire it parallel to have paf tones. The stag mag suggestion souns interesting for a hsh configuration in my opinion.
                          Last edited by IMENATOR; 03-23-2014, 02:07 AM.
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                          X