Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come there are no A8 PAFs?

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Isn't one of those old, now sought after Ibanez pickups pretty much a PAF type wind with an A8 mag or am I mistaken??
    That's the Ibanez Super 70. Smit's Pickups makes a similar pickup called the Ultra 7T. http://smitspickups.com/product/ultra-7t-humbucker-le/

Comment

Originally posted by ericpd View Post
      That's the Ibanez Super 70. Smit's Pickups makes a similar pickup called the Ultra 7T. http://smitspickups.com/product/ultra-7t-humbucker-le/
      Ok, I thought I remembered reading there was a pickup from the past that was at least in the PAF ballpark wind wise but with the A8. Thats the pickups that Eddie supposedly used at some point right?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Ok, I thought I remembered reading there was a pickup from the past that was at least in the PAF ballpark wind wise but with the A8. Thats the pickups that Eddie supposedly used at some point right?
        Supposedly is the key word. They might have been in his Ibanez Destroyer, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          Along the lines of wanting true vintage, I notice that when aftermarket pickups makers market "tweaked" vintage pickups they often liken then to specific players, like Pearly Gates = Billy Gibbons, WLH = Jimmy Page, Texas Specials = SRV, and of course, Bare Knuckle Pickup's entire product line, and the irony is most/all of them used stock pickups.
          TRUE! But stock pickups back then were different from stock pickups TODAY. Also artists like Page and such did get rewinds and new pickups made for them by duncan and that is what the WLH pickup specs were based off of. Same with the 78.

Comment

There are tons of A8 PAFS, I'm friends with at least 3 or 4 smaller shops that build them on Facebook!

Comment

i've been considering sliding an A8 between the cheeks of my PG+ for some time.
              legend has it that this should cause my lonesome blues train to arrive.

Comment

My LP has a Ant A8/ PGn fsc and it's a great sound. I had the stock Ant in there a couple of times and whilst I enjoyed the tone after years of using hotter pick ups and more recently the Brobucker (without a doubt my favourite bridge bucker) I found it toneful but weak. So it sat here for a few years and I had an A8 kicking around and whilst I didn't want to break the seal on the Ant threw it in there. So now it's been in there a while and IMO it's the real pumped up PAF. Ok so you do lose some of that open woody sound but the results were worth it, it's a thicker overwound sound that has a great balanced sound and with excellent clarity. As I said the Bro is my favourite bridge pick up but this one is a real close contender!

Comment

Working...
                X