X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 F Spaced in the neck ???

Hi, to everyone, this is my first post!
    I'm Marcello from Italy.

I guess this is not first time that someone make this question, but my very first guitar, an old yamaha rgx 421 pro (HSH w/FloydRose lic.), has an F spaced humbuckers direct mounted (no ring) in both (neck and bridge) position.

This guitar now is disassembled in my closet, i'm planning to bring it to life and put duncan's in all position.
    I'm thinking about TB4/SSL1/TB59.

I know that TB59 actually is not the right choice for neck, but only trembuckers fits in that position.

I wonder if i need to mount it rotated 180°, with adjustable poles in the upper side.
    In this way the SD logo will appear upside-down

There are wiring differences using tb in the neck or tonal difference ?

Thanx a lot

Bye !!!

Re: '59 F Spaced in the neck ???

Howdy Marcello.

Originally posted by loscos View Post
    I know that TB59 actually is not the right choice for neck
    Nothing wrong with that. In theory, you could order a shop floor custom TB59n, if you want specifically the 59 neck model in trembucker spacing. But in practice, these puppies are a rare sight in Europe. Nonetheless, the bridge model should sound just fine in your guitar. It's wound a little hotter compared to the neck model, which some people consider a good thing in a 24-fretter. Regarding the logo - it can be removed easily if it's such a pain in the eye.

Comment

It's all right to leave the polepieces where they are.

Wes Montgomery experimented with turning the neck pickup around and so did Peter Green.

You can also just rub the logo off with a cloth and Brasso - a metal polish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	618hi1rTp2L.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	5776581

Click image for larger version

Name:	guitar_gibson_1959_les_paul_standard_peter_green_gary_moore_owned_b_small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	5776582
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Hi guys, thanx for replies !

I' ve read that rotating the neck humbuker produces an "out of phase" effect.
        I'd like to understand if this occurs only when is combined with single coil in middle position (through 5 way selector) or affects sound even when humbucker run alone

Maybe there's a way to keep the right phase through wiring.

...just another little question: single coil have to be RP/RW ???

thanx !

Comment

Turning a humbucker around 180 degrees will not put it out of phase, it's still wired the same, it just puts the adjustable polepieces further toward the bridge end of the guitar. It will only be a subtle difference in sound, in fact if the polepieces are screwed all the way in there will probably be no difference at all. The Peter Green LP had an out-of phase sound in combined p/u positions because the magnet in the p/u was flipped when it was repaired, that was responsible for the out-of-phase sound when it was combined with another pickup.

Al

Comment

Hi Zombiwoof, thanx for your reply

If I use put a tb59 in the neck with (polepiece at south)...
            1) wiring is still the same ?
            2) singlecoil in the middle position have to be RW/RP ?

bye

Comment

Working...
            X