Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridge pick up for pop punk

hi, i have a squier bullet strat (crappy i know) and i want to mod it,

i want to install a new pickup in the bridge but dont know which 1 to get.

my influences are blink 182, green day, sum 41, fall out boy, all time low, the offspring, bowling for soup, good charlotte and just pop punk bands in general.

thanks and sorry if i sound like a noob (im really not)

Re: bridge pick up for pop punk

Any of the pickups that Duncan offers.

Tom Delonge used an Invader for a while. He switched to a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup. Green Day used a JB. I know that some people use low output pickups (Patrick Stump uses Filtertrons).

What kind of sound are you looking for? If you want something really tight sounding, then go with a Full Shred or a Distortion. If you just want to most overly high output pickup, get an Invader or actives.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

thanks for replying

at the moment i just want a sound that covers everything, if that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by letterb0mb View Post
        thanks for replying

at the moment i just want a sound that covers everything, if that makes sense
        Duncan custom. Hands down. very versatile and you can find them cheap on ebay.

I used to tour in a pop punk band and the custom always did me right.
        sigpic

Comment

thanks

ive heard the custom is good for pop punk im just stuck on which pup to get

Comment

well the custom 5 is pretty good too. I used that for awhile but I actually preferred the custom which has a ceramic magnet. it also has a really big low end for power chords and palm mutes
            sigpic

Comment

ok thank you

have you ever used a jb or invader?

Comment

The invader is actually pretty cool in the right guitar (like a strat) but I really hate the look. The JB is really popular especially in superstrats, however I have had the best luck with the JB as a rock lead pickup. It's not my favorite for rhythm, but some people would highly disagree.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                  Any of the pickups that Duncan offers.

Tom Delonge used an Invader for a while. He switched to a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup. Green Day used a JB. I know that some people use low output pickups (Patrick Stump uses Filtertrons).

What kind of sound are you looking for? If you want something really tight sounding, then go with a Full Shred or a Distortion. If you just want to most overly high output pickup, get an Invader or actives.
                  Delonge never recorded with the Invader so none of the tones hes associated with are from the Invader.

For pop punk I would go either JB or the distortion does great pop punk tones too.

But that being said what are you using for an amp? If your using solid state or a modeler I would lean towards the JB if your using a tube amp i would lean towards the distortion.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

ok thanks for your response

to be honest im not much of a lead guy, would much rather be rhythm guy, does this mean i should get a different pup?

Comment

thanks

at the moment im using a Marshall MG15 HFX

delonge never used the invader for recording?

Comment

ok thank you

I've used all four, but not in the same guitar. I've used the JB, Custom, & Custom 5 in my Explorer and decided to stick with the Custom. The JB also sounded pretty good in this guitar, but I liked the extra fullness of the Custom. I found the C5 to be scooped, boomy, & shrill all at the same time in this guitar; just didn't like it at all. In my Charvel Model 4 I've had a Full Shred, 59, Custom 5, Invader, and now a Custom. The Full Shred was a neat pickup; very full, tight, and articulate but also a bit on the bright side. I removed it to put in another guitar and replaced it with a '59 since it was the only spare pickup I had at the time. The 59 worked, but was a little anemic and bright for my tastes; when a C5 became available I replaced the '59. The C5 sounded pretty good, like a bigger 59 if that makes sense. I wasn't super crazy about it either, so I put the C5 in another guitar and tried an Invader. I liked the Invader quite a bit for rythm work; it just crushes in pretty much any guitar that isn't too bottom-heavy (I would not try it in mahogany). I swapped the Invader for another Custom (which I evidently like) because the Invader was just too much. The heaviness was nice, but it was so hot that I really didn't have much touch sensitivity. The Custom is nice in that it drives an amp well but is unusually dynamic for a ceramic pickup would to 14K.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

ok thank you

I used the invader in my main guitar for about 10 years and its a temperamental pickup. In some guitars its got a fat bottom in others its a mud ball. Most pop punk is pretty bright and toppy which is really hard to get out of a Invader. The JB I have still have in my DK2 its a great pickup its more versatile than an invader. For solos its really hard to beat... Especially live.
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

thanks
                            you sound like you have a lot of experience with them, im guessing you like the custom 5 the best?

Comment

thanks

at the moment im using a Marshall MG15 HFX

delonge never used the invader for recording?
                              Nope he never did... With a Marshall MG15 and you not being a lead type guy I would go Custom. The SH5 can cover A LOT of ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X