banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody Ever Tried Covers Without Polepice Holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody Ever Tried Covers Without Polepice Holes?

So after contacting SD, it looks like the only way to get black pickup covers that will fit Trembuckers is to go holeless

I found these, which are exactly what I want but without holes for the pole pieces. I can deal with no holes if it means I get to black out my guitar. I am curious, though - has anyone ever used holeless pickup covers on pickups with adjustable poles? Were there any surprises, ie did it more or less behave tonally like a regular pickup cover? Obviously I won't be able to adjust the screw side, but I'm okay with that if it means I can satisfy my vanity.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Anybody Ever Tried Covers Without Polepice Holes?

If you're industrious enough you could somehow carefully mark out the polepiece locations and use a drill bit for metal very carefully in a drill press to make your own holes.

I'd go slow and steady with the drill press though, to avoid warping the cover or causing heat stress which might change the colour of the coating.

Comment

I don't have a drill press, so that's probably not a good idea.

I should make sure that those covers fit the trembucker bobbins as well...
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

hex head pole screws may be a good idea as well

Comment

The pickups that my RR1 came with had black plastic covers over normal slug screw humbuckers. I took them off and it didnt seem to change the sound of the pickups if they were adjusted to the same height. But those were plastic so take it for what its worth.

Are you after the black chrome look or do you just want black? Would you object to paint or powder coat?
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I'm just after the black covered look. Hell, I'd take plastic in a second if I could find a cover that fit a trembucker, as it turns out the ones in the OP won't.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
              I don't have a drill press, so that's probably not a good idea.
              Don't be timid. For $12.49, you can afford to take some chances. Put some sort of marking agent on the tops of the screw pieces, like a dab of paint that can be rubbed off later, or any marking agent, cup cake frosting even, and then lower the casing over the bobbins, then remove and you should see markings on the inside of the case. Use a Sharpie to make the marking permanent. Or you could just put masking tape in the case and press the two together hard enough for the screw to indent the masking tape. Then use a drill to make small pilot holes before drilling full size holes. That smaller hole will prevent the larger bit from slipping around, and you can correct for mistakes if you find that your pilot holes don't align right after drilling. If all looks good, drill the full sized holes.

Comment

That's all well and good, but they won't fit the bobbins in the first place.

Could I shave enough of the bobbin off via sanding to fit the cover without killing the pickup?
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Though I don't have high hopes that these will fit my trembucker, I will get the black covers seen here since I'm placing an order with them anyway and if they don't fit it's just $5. In the mean time, I will keep searching for something that will definitely work.
                  Last edited by Agileguy_101; 03-24-2014, 04:54 PM.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Worst case, you're left with a cool looking ash tray.

Comment

There's no such thing as a classy repository for cigarette ashes.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

bruh, call SD again and ask if it's possible to get custom shop black nickel trembucker covers.

The livewire Mustaine set comes with black nickel covers, so it's presumably a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
                          bruh, call SD again and ask if it's possible to get custom shop black nickel trembucker covers.

The livewire Mustaine set comes with black nickel covers, so it's presumably a possibility.
                          I pm'd Scott Marceau yesterday and was all set to buy them when he said that TB spaced black nickel covers aren't available. I asked if they could be done for an extra charge and he hasn't got back to me yet. I would totally pay extra (within reason) for this, it would put my guitar on the next level. I can't be the only one who thinks these are awesome. I wonder why SD, or anyone really, hasn't made these easily available.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

black nickel is still fairly new...

it's quite well liked by those who like it, but it's not as ubiquitous as chrome/regular nickel/gold finishes for manufacturers.

perhaps there's just not ENOUGH of a market to warrant it being widely available.

Comment

You might look for 53 mm covers on eBay, but if not, it's not a big deal to drill holes. No, you don't need a drill press, just a center punch and a decent bit, and a good template.

Comment

Working...
                              X