banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan PSYCHEDELIC STRAT Pickups vs Fender Custom Shop 69?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan PSYCHEDELIC STRAT Pickups vs Fender Custom Shop 69?

Who owns the PSYCHEDELIC STRAT pickups? Anybody?

Curious how they compare in sound to the Fender Custom Shop 69's.

"For those of us who aren’t able to own a late ‘60s Stratocaster, installing a set of our Psychedelic Strat pickups will get you pretty close.

Using traditional materials and period accurate wind, these pickups have high highs, low lows, and a lot of space in between so that the mids have a scooped sound. This EQ profile will add depth and fullness to your tone.

DC Resistance: 5.9k, 5.85k, 5.95k"

According to the Duncan site these sound like carbon copies of the Custom Shop 69's. Would they use different wire?

Re: Duncan PSYCHEDELIC STRAT Pickups vs Fender Custom Shop 69?

They should use the same wire as the CS69s. I have not tried the Duncan's but the CS69s are amazing for that kind of Strat tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Dunno about the duncans but the D.Allen Voodoo 69s. They're like the cs69 but with RWRP middle pickup, a slightly hotter bridge, beveled magnets, scatterwound, AND the polepieces on the neck pickup have a closer proximity so they sit under the strings better. They are constructed individually to be suited for their position unlike the cs69 which are 3 machine wound identical pickups signed by Abby. I STRONGLY recommend considering these, they're my favorite strat pickups of all time. They are A5 poles PE wire wound to about 5.8, 5.8 6.2
      Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

There are video demos, more info, and reviews there.

Comment

I have the Duncans and if you enjoy the sound of vintage you will almost certainly enjoy these in your strat.

Comment

Jumble Jumble has some Psychedelic Strat pickups, maybe he can chime in?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Olson View Post
              Jumble Jumble has some Psychedelic Strat pickups, maybe he can chime in?
              Scott can the custom shop make me a Psychedlic Strat middle pickup RWRP? I don't care if it's an extra charge.

Comment

Hi!

I kinda have them. What I actually have is some Custom Shop pickups that MJ made me. I asked her to create me a neck and middle pickup that have the exact tone of the Psychedelic Strat set, but as a Stack Plus pickup. My experience with the Stack Plus construction is that it sounds exactly like the pickup it's based on, with less hum. So the STK-S4 sounds exactly like the SSL-2, and the STK-S6 sounds exactly like the SSL-6. There's no loss of high end that I can hear, although I don't actually have the treble on my amp turned up to max, so perhaps if you do, you might notice something? I doubt it though.

In my Strat, then, I have the two CS pickups (let's call them Psychedelic Stack Plus) in the neck and middle. I then have an STK-S6 (Custom Stack Plus) in the bridge position, because I think that's the best Strat bridge pickup of all time. It feels like a set of three, not a different guitar when you switch to the bridge.

Assuming, then, that MJ nailed it, and she always has so far, I can talk a bit about the tone. They are by far my favourite neck and middle pickups I've ever had in that guitar (and it has had A LOT of pickups in the 20 years I've owned it). I've always thought there was a serious gap in SD's range for a late 60s style Strat pickup, but here it is. I think they should make it a production pickup, it's a no-brainer. And (simultaneously or not, I know nothing about marketing), make the Stack Plus versions production too. Scott O knows this as I nag him about it all the time.

Basically, think SRV, Hendrix, Gilmour, all that 70s stuff. It has that scoop that really enhances the Strat's natural chime. Absolutely crystalline high end and articulate lows. I do have a clip somewhere I think - I'll try to dig it out when I'm home.

The Psychedelic Strat set is Custom Shop, ie made to order. So if you want RWRP middle, then you can just ask and they'll do it. If you're not scared of stacks though, then my recommendation would be to go the whole way and get the Stack Plus versions though. I ordered mine in parchment, no logo, so they look just like stock Strat pickups. Mine were quite expensive because they'd not been done before, and so the bottom coil had to be tuned (engineering involvement). If you were to order them, they'd be a bit less because the engineering is done.

Comment

The Fenders seem to be exceedingly popular (and quite nice based on my set I just installed). If Duncan made these production with a marketing campaign similar to the "Whole Lotta Humbuckers" I have to imagine they would be very popular.

The reasons I chose the Fenders are because they are production and easily available and I got a good deal on an unused set in the Trading Post. If the price was equal I would have given the Duncan's a shot.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Loved the '69 set, but liked the BKP Irish Tour set better. Sort of like the WLH of single coils. Slightly overwound for more push, but still very much vintage style sound and construction.

Comment

Where's the BKP Irish Tour set?

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
                        Where's the BKP Irish Tour set?
                        Uh, in my strat? Bare Knuckle Pickups if that's what you're asking.
                        Last edited by El Supremo; 03-27-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jumble jumble View Post
                          Hi!

I kinda have them. What I actually have is some Custom Shop pickups that MJ made me. I asked her to create me a neck and middle pickup that have the exact tone of the Psychedelic Strat set, but as a Stack Plus pickup. My experience with the Stack Plus construction is that it sounds exactly like the pickup it's based on, with less hum. So the STK-S4 sounds exactly like the SSL-2, and the STK-S6 sounds exactly like the SSL-6. There's no loss of high end that I can hear, although I don't actually have the treble on my amp turned up to max, so perhaps if you do, you might notice something? I doubt it though.

In my Strat, then, I have the two CS pickups (let's call them Psychedelic Stack Plus) in the neck and middle. I then have an STK-S6 (Custom Stack Plus) in the bridge position, because I think that's the best Strat bridge pickup of all time. It feels like a set of three, not a different guitar when you switch to the bridge.

Assuming, then, that MJ nailed it, and she always has so far, I can talk a bit about the tone. They are by far my favourite neck and middle pickups I've ever had in that guitar (and it has had A LOT of pickups in the 20 years I've owned it). I've always thought there was a serious gap in SD's range for a late 60s style Strat pickup, but here it is. I think they should make it a production pickup, it's a no-brainer. And (simultaneously or not, I know nothing about marketing), make the Stack Plus versions production too. Scott O knows this as I nag him about it all the time.

Basically, think SRV, Hendrix, Gilmour, all that 70s stuff. It has that scoop that really enhances the Strat's natural chime. Absolutely crystalline high end and articulate lows. I do have a clip somewhere I think - I'll try to dig it out when I'm home.

The Psychedelic Strat set is Custom Shop, ie made to order. So if you want RWRP middle, then you can just ask and they'll do it. If you're not scared of stacks though, then my recommendation would be to go the whole way and get the Stack Plus versions though. I ordered mine in parchment, no logo, so they look just like stock Strat pickups. Mine were quite expensive because they'd not been done before, and so the bottom coil had to be tuned (engineering involvement). If you were to order them, they'd be a bit less because the engineering is done.
                          Wow! Double Jumble, If I wasnt broke, you coulda just sold me a set of pups! From your description, they sound amazing! Ive never been a big single coil guy til recently, so, my selection is limited. I have a Blue and silver lace sensor in one strat, a set of Bill Lawrence keystones in another and I have a Washburn with ssl 5s neck and mid.
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Anyone interested, the CS order number for those stacks was #205982.

Comment

Working...
                            X