Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PG/Seth Lover Hybrid?

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
    Sorry but you're absolutely wrong. I prefer my neck pickups to be clean and clear, open and articulate. I want warmth with treble detail that can be rolled off with the tone pot. The screaming demon is one of the best neck pickups I have ever, ever heard...always: clarity, articulation, precision and versatility.
    I thought you liked them darker, must be thinking of someone else. But still, for me a Screamin' Demon is too hot and warm for the neck slot. I've made a bridge hybrid with a Screamin' Demon coil. I like my neck hybrids to be around 8K, and non-hybrid necks to be mid to high 7K.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      I thought you liked them darker, must be thinking of someone else. But still, for me a Screamin' Demon is too hot and warm for the neck slot. I've made a bridge hybrid with a Screamin' Demon coil. I like my neck hybrids to be around 8K, and non-hybrid necks to be mid to high 7K.
      Try it before you judge it. You know perfectly well that DC resistance says nothing about output. To have an equal saturation with 43 awg, you'd have to go to around 7k a coil. The demon is just 5,5 or 6. That's quite heavily underwound to add clarity. I've demonstrated it time in time again.

and if you don't believe me because well... never mind, watch this:

Steel panther - Community Property cover Using a Jackson SL2H USA with Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 in the bridge and a Screaming Demon in the neck!Killer p...

all the cleans were done on that pickup. it works. the demon works VERY well in the neck position. and I don't like 'm darker, I wanna have clarity because with a lot of clarity the tone pot works as a parametric equalizer in stead of just a filter.

Comment

The thing is, mixing DMZ and SD is a bit hard since the holes for the coils don't match with the baseplate.
        So what did you do? Drill new holes in one half of the baseplate? I imagine you putting a SD baseplate on top of the DMZ to see where the new holes will go, but maybe there was a better solution.

Comment

Try it before you judge it. You know perfectly well that DC resistance says nothing about output.
          I'm speaking from experience. I've tried a Screamin' Demon in the neck, and it's too hot for my tastes. I like PAF's in the neck slot much better.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Guitaraxz View Post
            So what did you do? Drill new holes in one half of the baseplate? I imagine you putting a SD baseplate on top of the DMZ to see where the new holes will go, but maybe there was a better solution.
            changed the round holes by dremeling them into ellipses.

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
              I don't need experience swapping coils to tell you didn't answer his question, since at no point in your post (which, I'm not being sarcastic, is fact filled and educational) did you *actually* address the pickups that the OP inquired about.

I think answering the OPs question as to how a Pearly Gates & Seth hybrid would be a good start.
              Thanks because that is exactly what I wanted to know and wondered the same thing after his response, even though there was still some good information in it. However, Blueman is a pretty good guy and helps a lot without ever getting caught up in forum drama (to my knowledge). I don't think you were being as rude as your post seem to be received, and God knows I'm guilty of speaking plainly my self, but that's all I'm going to about that stuff.

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
              It would be curious definitely. One slightly hotter potted coil, one unpotted slightly weaker. The output difference isn't as great as the 59/c, and an a2 mag would be the common factor and the obvious choice since you don't want it to be TOO powerful or anything. It would certainly be bright, probably almost single coil levels of treble response. I can't REALLY speak because I don't know how a potted and unpotted coil would react. Maybe if it's weird someone could re-pot it? Then maybe even mag swapping could help out. Just theorizing. It could be the greatest pickup ever. But if ONE coil is or becomes microphonic, you will likely get ALL of the bad aspects of a microphonic pickup. Unless since only one pickup is microphonic the overtones won't be as harsh and you might be able to get more out of it since the microphonic half is not only weaker, but half the strength of a fully microphonic humbucker. I'd want to see it done.
              Well I asked a couple of people and they seem to think that some wax potting will help a little. It does, as you say, sound like it could make a great pickup for the aforementioned reasons. They're slightly mismatched with different tonal characters and both A2. My thinking is that a Seth screw coil + PG slug coil paired with an unpolished A2 would be the right combination, but I'm certainly no expert and that is all based on assumption and my limited experience with mag swaps and hybrids.

I have tried approximately 100 hybrids, with documentation. I have a good memory but even I can't memorize 100 hybrids.

I have tried the PG/Seth BRIDGE and I think it's a great pickup with an alnico 2. It's more open than the PG, a bit more fluid than the seth. I did notice a huge difference in using a slug or screw seth. I didn't care for the slug seth, I preferred the screw: bit more power in that coil. For some reason, the Seth is a bit less powerful than the PG and I felt the need to compensate a bit for that difference. It's a great PAF style pickup, I have to admit. it's perhaps my favorite of all PAF style pickups. It's got cut but isn't harsh. It's got power but isn't hot. It works amazing in a lot of applications.

I also love the sethB/Screaming demon Alnico 8. great medium output pickup. It's around 9.1k, but it's got so much chunk. great pickup.

Here's a list of all the hybrids I made that I liked.

59 custom alnico 2, 5, 8
              pearly custom alnico 2, 5
              screaming demon/sh6n thick ceramic, alnico 8, alnico 5
              demon/sethb alnico 2, 5, 8
              jb/jazz alnico 5, alnico 8
              jazz n / 59n alnico 2, 5, 8
              jazz b / 59b alnico 2, 5, 8
              jb/fullshred alnico 5, alnico 8
              alt8/fullshred alnico 8, alnico 5
              jb/distortion thick ceramic, alnico 5
              patb1/patb2 thin ceramic, alnico 8
              patb2/jb alnico 5, alnico 8, thin ceramic
              patb2/fullshred thin ceramic, alnico 8
              patb2/bluesbucker alnico 8, thin ceramic
              jb/super distortion DMZ guts
              jb/super distortion SD guts
              distortion/superdistortion
              invader/x2n DMZ guts
              invader/x2n SD guts
              sethb/pearly alnico 2, alnico 5
              sethb/screaming demon alnico 2, alnico 8, alnico 8
              seth n/ screaming demon alnico 2, alnico 5, alnico 8
              seth b/ sh6n alnico 8
              stagmag/fullshred alnico 2 slugs, alnico 8 bar
              stagmag/fullshred alnico 2 slugs alnico 5 bar
              stagmag/fullshred alnico 5 slugs, alnico 8 bar
              59/custom alnico 8 bar alnico 5 slugs
              seth n / screaming demon alnico 8 bar alnico 5 slugs
              fullshred b/fullshred n alnico 5, alnico 8

The one in bold is the only one that failed. Miserably. That pickup sounded honky, wonky and just plain horrible.
              Impressive and thanks for the information. It seems to confirm what I think will turn out, except I plan to use an unpolished A2 to soften the high end a bit. Well, all I can do is try it out. I'll post a review in a few weeks once I have had a chance to put it together. Magnet is already on order.

Comment

Working...
              X