Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rails help

Hi,

I have a MIA Standard strat and I wanted some versatility in my guitar. I use Gibson SGs, and wanted to be able to pick up my strat and play the same songs without adjusting too many knobbies on my amp during shows. The stock pickups sounded nice, but couldn't keep up with the wide range of songs we play.

So anyway, I went with Seymour's recommendation and installed Hot Rails in the bridge (I'm a huge Maiden fan), Vintage Rails in mid, and Cool Rails in neck. They sound nice, very loud, so they keep up with my SG just fine. However, almost all the brightness of my bridge pickup is gone. Is this normal? are the Hot Rails very mid-heavy, with scooped highs? Even if I dime my treble on my amp (Fender Blues Junior), there's still hardly any highs.

Do you think I need to:

1) Check my wiring?
    2) Install 500k pots?
    3) mod my amp?

Thanks

Re: Hot Rails help

Try 500k pots and see if that helps open it up a bit.
     Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Thanks. Do I need to replace all three pots? or just the volume?

Comment

I'd just replace the volume, it will have the most effect.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks everyone, but you should all learn from my fail! The issue wasn't the scooped highs from the pickup. The day that I swapped out the pups, I also swapped out the tubes in my amp as well (old ones had gone microphonic). I erroneously put the V1 phase inverter tube in the first preamp slot! Silly me, the phase inverter was never meant to carry the preamp load. So, I switched that one with a real preamp tube and voila! Everything sounded better.

I realized something was wrong when I plugged in my SG: even that sounded like crap, and i KNOW my SG shoud never sound like crap.

Sorry for the trouble!

Comment

SGs are not designed to sound like crap.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
            X