Screaming demon neck with JB? Feedback please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screaming demon neck with JB? Feedback please

I am about to get a super strat with alder body, maple neck and fretboard, 22 frets and a floyd rose (I think you can guess what I will be getting ). I am planning on using the stock pickups for a while but definitely after a while I will be changing to a JB in the bridge (which I already have) and I have liked so far in my poplat strat but leged says it sounds grean in alder body guitars. I will also turn this into an HSH or HSS configuration with an SSL-1 in the middle and forthis thread I need some feedback about pairing the JB with a Screaming Demon.

1.- Do you know of any sound sample of the screaming demon in the neck position? I read a lot of good comments about it but I have not heard it.
    2.- Is the SH-12 (you know, the regular size HB) well balanced in output to match a JB in the bridge screaming demon? I love to switch from neck and bridge back and forth for soloing so it would expect to have nice contrast in tone but not a difference in volume or the bridge to sound realtive thin ( as if this could ever happen with a JB anyway ), I ask this because I read the Screaming Demon is a bit hotter than a 59 which is a popular combo for the JB.
    3.- Has any of you used the Lil' Screaming demon in the neck position with a JB in the bridge? Can this version be used for the same purposes I described in #3? Is its output the same? will be "drawn" by the JB? How well does it sound in split mode compared to the regular sized one? I think I read somewhere it was not that much of a good match for the JB but I need your feedback.
    4.- Which coil do you find it sounds better for split mode, the hex allen screws or the standard slotted screws?

By the way currently my other options for a neck pickup are the Stag Mag and Dimarzio Chopper. If you had any experience pairing any of this with a JB then your comments are well received. Thanks in advance.
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Screaming demon neck with JB? Feedback please

I can only answer question #2 : I never paired Demon with JB but I think they will balance well. I've paired Demon with Alt8 (hotter than JB) and also Custom (less output than JB) and it balances well with each of them. It's funny that you mentioned JB - '59. Maybe it's just me but Alt8 - Demon kinda remind me of JB -'59 but 'refined', a hot rod version of that classic combo. Anyway hope it helps.

Comment

i've had a screamin demon in the neck paired with an SH-5 and a TB-6 in different guitars; it was noticeably louder than the custom in my LP, but it's fair to say that the neck slot in said LP is criminal for shouting down most bridge pickups.
      paired well with the DD a H/H tele ("agathis"/maple), which is more relevant. at that stage the demon had 12 slot-head screws (they're a bit longer), and the DD was hex screws and slugs.

the stag mag is quite underrated IMO, but i'd be wary of pairing it with a flatter fingerboard radius, she's a curvy girl. 7.25" was sexual, 12" was ok, wouldn't be too hopeful with 14+" (please don't sig this).
      the stag mag sounded very impressive in ol' bridge-killer without being relatively loud, but i did have a 2xA5 phat cat in the bridge at the time.

sorry i can't be more help, sounds like it'll be a sweet guitar when you're done

Comment

I have this exact set up. Warmoth alder body with maple neck and gotoh floyd rose; HH setup. I originally had the jb with the 59n and didn't actually think they paired that well together. The JB has so much awesome mids and the 59 just seemed the exact oposite and scooped. The 59 to me was a great pickup but just not what I was looking for, it had great clear bass and very crystal highs but no real grinding mids that I wanted to match the JB. I put in a screamin demon. Everything that the 59 had was still there but with a little extra body and girth. Those are the best words I can find to describe. It really seemed to compliment the JB well EQ wise as well as output wise. Its very clear, articulate and open but with more beefy oomph to back it up. I personally like my pups rather low and away from the strings and I had no problem adjusting them to match output wise and really feel that I have found the best setup for me. I also have each pup wired for series, parallel and coil split. The demon splits VERY well. I have it oriented with the allen screws closest to the neck and that is the coil that remains on when split. Really nice and clear jangly tones (the allen screws are a little brighter than the flat heads). Hope that helps

Comment

You should not have any problems whatsoever with the JB - Demon combination either split or full bucker. Doesn't really matter which coil you split to...very little difference in tone.

I also don't think you'll have a problem with the StagMag. I certainly understand what dr.ad is saying about the radius (because of the staggered poles in the SM), but I've had one in the neck and bridge positions of several guitars with neck radii up to 14" with no problems at all (close to 16" radius at the bridge).

I haven't tried the Li'l Demon, but you can be sure that it does not sound like the full sized Demon.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by emaccarthy View Post
            I personally like my pups rather low and away from the strings and I had no problem adjusting them to match output wise and really feel that I have found the best setup for me.
            I do this my self too, I find lowering the neck pickup makes them "more organic".

So based on your feedback it sounds like either the Screaming Demon or the Stag Mag can balance well with the JB. I will keep that in mind, I may keep another JB in my old strat and put the Stag Mag there for realistic sigle coil neck tones.

If you have sound sampls of screaming demon in the bridge please let me know.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

I can't believe James Ryan is doing a demo of this very same combo!! The demon sounds amazing in the neck, I just wish he had tried in split mode too. The combo sound great but I think for my teaste the JB lacks a biit of treble in order to have that EQ contrast that I like when switching back and forth neck and bridge when soloing, specially on higher frets, the same think I was talkking about in another thread about JB and YJM Fury. Anyways, the demon sounds very nice in this demo.

Who took my guitar?

Comment

It sounds better in the neck than in the bridge! I would imagine it would sound even better with A3's. Otherwise a Dimarzio Air Norton also makes a good mate for a JB bridge.

2:39 - Air Norton Neck
                Last edited by idsnowdog; 04-13-2014, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Maybe Dimebucker is what you need. It will give you more treble and more contrast.

Comment

What kind tone pot you using of this in the neck when in split mode? I would asume it is 500k but wondering if anyone switching to 250k when split, I was thinking on switching pot and cap value for the stag mag before I started this thread. I just found this video of the lil screaming demon in split mode and it sounds nice just by itself

And how does it sound in split mode combined with a single coil in the middle? For me the purpose of HSH or HSS is to get some quack in notch positions.

Is it me or can you actually hear some chime out of it in split? go to 1:27 to listen, it kind of reminds me the DiMarzio Cruiser.
                    Last edited by IMENATOR; 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

That's very clever...

Plug into your fridge and the water dispenser then becomes your "sound dispenser".
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X