replacing custom 5 bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing custom 5 bridge

Hi, I am getting a Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM. This model has a Custom 5 TB14 bridge pickup. It is wired for coil tap with the neck P-90. I would like to replace the Custom 5 with a Seymour Duncan 59. Does the replacement pickup have to be a trembucker? Can I do this swap and also keep the same wiring as before?

Re: replacing custom 5 bridge

As long as you get a four conductor 59, you should be good to go. I would suggest playing the guitar as is before deciding to swap pickups. Great guitar by the way. I've been wanting one for a while.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
      As long as you get a four conductor 59, you should be good to go. I would suggest playing the guitar as is before deciding to swap pickups. Great guitar by the way. I've been wanting one for a while.
      Thanks, this is very helpful!

Comment

Yep. If you do decide to replace it, you want tremspaced and 4 conductor. What kind of difference are you going for? Like where do you want your tone to go from the Custom 5?

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
          Yep. If you do decide to replace it, you want tremspaced and 4 conductor. What kind of difference are you going for? Like where do you want your tone to go from the Custom 5?
          Hi, the Custom 5 sound samples are great vintage tones. I want a bit more mids like Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by brusky View Post
            Hi, the Custom 5 sound samples are great vintage tones. I want a bit more mids like Les Paul
            Try an EQ pedal. I'm not sure any pickup can make a Pacifica sound like a Les Paul.

Comment

I seriously doubt that a 59 will give you more mids, probably a lot less. The Custom Custom would give you less highs than the 5. The 59 goes down into vintage territory, which would be thinner sounding.

Comment

I second a Custom Custom. Great mids. Custom 5 and '59 have exactly the same EQ ratings on the Tone chart, 6,3,8 B,M,T

You're talking about a Strat style guitar and a Les Paul. Chadd's right, that's going to be tough to match tones. Do you have a Les Paul type guitar? There are many models out there that are LP styles at great prices, especially used. Quality of overseas models is pretty good these days. Enjoy the Yamaha for what it is and maybe down the road get a second guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r12003 View Post
                  I second a Custom Custom. Great mids. Custom 5 and '59 have exactly the same EQ ratings on the Tone chart, 6,3,8 B,M,T

You're talking about a Strat style guitar and a Les Paul. Chadd's right, that's going to be tough to match tones. Do you have a Les Paul type guitar? There are many models out there that are LP styles at great prices, especially used. Quality of overseas models is pretty good these days. Enjoy the Yamaha for what it is and maybe down the road get a second guitar.
                  thanks men for excellent comments. I was thinking of the 59 as this is the pickup for the Yamaha SG1820. Link with sound samples:

Comment

But remember that the Yamaha SG line have a completely different body construction and tone wood. What you are looking for is adding thickness and mids into that guitar, which is totally doable. The Custom Custom is one great way to accomplish that, and if you are comfortable with it, it can be achieved with a magnet swap to the Custom 5 instead of having to buy a completely separate pickup.

My suggestion, however, is to look at that Blues Sarasceno PATB-3 humbucker. It was designed with that exact question in mind: How do you make a strat or a shred-stick guitar sound like a Les Paul? The end result is really cool, it's a very thick and warm pickup, I used one for years in my strat to do exactly what you are trying to do.
                    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                    Andrew - None

Comment

If you are looking for thickness, I second the PATB-3 suggestion.
                      Also, have a look at the various dimarzio offerings: Airzone, Breed, Gravity Storm, etc -- all designed to add mids and thickness to thin sounding guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm5150 View Post
                        If you are looking for thickness, I second the PATB-3 suggestion.
                        Also, have a look at the various dimarzio offerings: Airzone, Breed, Gravity Storm, etc -- all designed to add mids and thickness to thin sounding guitars.
                        Thanks! The PATB-3 samples sound great. The only thing is the description says designed for Floyd Rose system. The Yamaha uses Wilkinson tremolo. I assume this will still work?

Comment

For vintage tone with more mids, I suggest something with Alnico II magnet. The Custom Custom is great for that. Pearly Gates and Alnico II Pro are also great if you want something more vintage.

Comment

Custom custom hands down.

Comment

+1 for PATB-3

I assume this will still work?
                              Yep

Comment

Working...
                              X