banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distortion SH-6/Alnico II Pro Flat APS-2/ Jazz SH-2N ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion SH-6/Alnico II Pro Flat APS-2/ Jazz SH-2N ?

Hi guys, longtime Duncan fan but first time forum poster here.

I need some advice on a pickup combination. I have an 1989 Ibanez RG570 project guitar that I'm rebuilding and I was wondering what you guys thought about this pickup combination for it?

Distortion SH-6 bridge /Alnico II Pro Flat APS-2 middle / Jazz SH-2N neck?

Will the APS-2 match the other two? I like a tough raunchy distortion bridge sound, but I prefer a sweeter sound for clean and leads.

Is there a better/proven combo for an HSH layout?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Stupid question time. Does the Alnico II Pro Flat APS-2 come with a cover? Or is that a separate purchase?
    Last edited by vox; 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM.

Re: Distortion SH-6/Alnico II Pro Flat APS-2/ Jazz SH-2N ?

I think you've done your homework, and what you have picked out will work just fine. I actually have a Distortion bridge and a 59 neck combo in an archtop. It works surprisingly great. I can't remember what company it is, but some of their guitars come with that combo (Dis./59.) But having a Jazz in the neck will give you a wide variety of sounds, which it seems that's what you are going for. I think the AP2 single coil is a good choice. I had one in a guitar, and I really dug it. Again, it will help with a variety of sounds. And yes, they do come with covers. You just have to pick out if you want black or white or cream. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

And go with trembucker spaced Distortion in the bridge.

Comment

The Distortion might sound thin in an RG, therefore I'd personally rather opt for the Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
          The Distortion might sound thin in an RG, therefore I'd personally rather opt for the Custom.
          I don't see how a Distortion would sound thin. It's a darker pickup with plenty of mids. The Custom is brighter and mid scooped. If anything, I'd say stay away from the Custom.
          1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Affirmative on the Trembucker version.

Comment

Working...
            X