Best Humbucker for 70s rock and 90s rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Humbucker for 70s rock and 90s rock

Hey guys I was looking at get new humbuckers for my Gibson LP. It still has the stock burstbuckers. I play 70s classic rock(Led Zep, Clapton) and 90s rock(Radiohead, Weezer)

What would be the best humbucker for my musical tastes?

Re: Best Humbucker for 70s rock and 90s rock

I use a burstbucker 2 still. For a while I thought I hated it. Turns out when I got a warmer amp (finally) I started to like it. It's plenty versatile and should do the 70s rock stuff quite well. It works great for all the Zeppelin/Clapton/Stones I *attempt* to play on my burstbucker.

Tell us what you don't like about the burstbuckers. Also tell us which Burstbuckers you have (BB1, BB2, BB3?), what amp, what value your guitar's potentiometers are (if they are 300K, get 500K), and how much you've played with the pickup height.

Comment

I think they're good pickups is just like something with a bitmore sustain. I haven't been able to find what BurstBuckers they are but I can tell you they're from a 2013 Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute. I play them thru a Bugera V55 but have played thru a lot of boutique and high end amps. I like where the bridge pup is and have raised the neck.
      I have lost my multimeter but last I checked I had 500k

Comment

What kind of Burst Buckers? What don't you like about them?

Comment

I explained in my last post ^^

Comment

I am loving the BB3s in my traditional pros for 90s stuff. I had to adjust the pole pieces a bit but it sounds fantastic. You're looking at a pretty wide variety of tones there, maybe a clean boost or something would help with the sustain more than a new pickup?

Comment

Either the JB or the Whole Lotta Humbucker. Wlh is more vintage and even sounding while the JB had a lot more output and midrange.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman113 View Post
                I explained in my last post ^^
                My bad. Well, sustain is mostly in the guitar, but you can compensate a littlewith a pickup that compresses a bit more (ofcourse you will lose some dynamics with this).
                So, a higher output like a Duncan Custom bridge might be the ticket paired with a Jazz or '59 neck. If you want to stay on the lower output side of things the WLH or Screamin' Demon are excellent choices for classic rock tones imo.
                If you want to stay A2 for your LP you might want to consider APH-1 or perhaps the Slash set.

Comment

I'd wait a little bit for some more Perpetual Burn demos. It's supposed to be somewhere between a '59 & a JB.

Post #105 has the first demo: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ual-burn/page6
                  Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I suggest either a 59 set or Whole Lotta humbucker set or the hotrod humbucker set a JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

IMHO custum shop Model 78. Beutifull pup, brown sound. Its the one MJ makes for Eddie Van Halen, thats why its called 78 (year of VH first album). Its a PAF with b@lls, its more expensive but worth every penny.

Comment

i had an epiphone tribute that came with burstbucker pro pickups. Until I sold it I used the bb2 pro in the neck and a JB in the bridge. I liked it but it was a bright guitar and the JB was pretty screamin, I could have used more warmth, but it was good. Lots of sustain for sure though.

I would look along the lines of the JB or possibly the Custom if you groove on high output which should add some sustain and do the more 90's stuff. I haven't played the '78 or WLH set.
                        The pearly gates set has a warm and sweet neck with a more biting bridge, I have used the PG set before and it has great sustain if you like lower output and a bit of chewiness. If you have a brighter guitar I can really recommend the PG set. The PG set strikes me as what the BB1 and BB2 ought to sound like.

You could just shove an A8 magnet in your bridge pickup for a real quick solution though. I like the BB2 with an A8, sounds pretty Page-esque to me.

Comment

Any good PAF style pickup should get you the tones you're looking for. Just take your time and dial in your amp.
                          2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

I won't pretend to know about 90s rock but for 70s rock with a Les Paul I haven't heard any better pickups than the Whole Lotta Humbucker set.

I put some in my #2 Les Paul and it became my #1 Les Paul. I think I need some in the former #1 too

Comment

whole lotta set.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X