50 mm spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 mm spacing

I would like to compile a list of pickups that come in 50mm spacing. If you know of any, please list them here. Thank you.

I will start with some ones that I have come across:

- Suhr SSH
    - OEM Duncans in my 2004 Dean Z Professional (JB and '59)

...and a question for the SD folks: Can SD pickups be ordered with the 50mm spacing? If so, is this a SFC thing, or would it have to be a CS order? Do you have butyrate bobbins in that spacing, or only standard bobbins?

The reason I ask is that I have stock 50mm covers that I need to re-use for my guitar. The covers are matte chrome, and I can't find matching replacements in standard spacing.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: 50 mm spacing

Bareknuckle.

Isn't SD standard spacing 50mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibson 1964 View Post
      Bareknuckle.

Isn't SD standard spacing 50mm?
      I believe it's 1-15/16 inch (49.2 mm), in keeping with classic Gibson spacing.

The OEM Duncans I have here have a 1-31/32 inch pole spacing (almost exactly 50 mm). My aftermarket Duncan humbuckers measure 1-15/16 inch (just over 49.2 mm). Trembuckers are usually 2-1/16 inch (about 52.4 mm).

1/32 inch doesn't sound like much difference on paper, but it's enough so that my 50 mm covers won't fit the 49.2 mm pickups. It's not even close enough to fudge it.
      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Yeah, when putting covers on my pickups I have found that having 3 sizes of cover is useful. I have 50, 53, and 49.2ish in nickle silver. Some of my duncans have used 50 in the past, just to muddy the waters.

Comment

The issue here is that the stock 50 mm covers are a matte finish that is unique to the guitar. I can't purchase them aftermarket, so I need to put the stock covers on my replacement pickups. The closest I can get is bare (unplated) nickel covers, but they are still not a very good match to the stock ones. In short, I can't just choose the right cover to fit whatever pickups I use. I need to get 50 mm pickups to fit my existing covers.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I have nothing to add except to say (again), I sure wish Duncan would go to one size bobbin, but with different pole spacing for F (ala DiMarzio, Suhr, etc)
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
              I have nothing to add except to say (again), I sure wish Duncan would go to one size bobbin, but with different pole spacing for F (ala DiMarzio, Suhr, etc)
              ^^^ this ^**

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                Wouldn't that still cause issues with cover fit, though?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                  Wouldn't that still cause issues with cover fit, though?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk
                  You would have two different covers like anyone else, but then you could fit an F spaced Duncan into a normal pickguard.
                  -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                  “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Hey ItsaBass Schaller makes satin chrome covers.

Comment

my new Gibson dirty fingers seem to be 50mm, at least the bridge one is. I have heard the Gibson neck pickups are usually 50 too. my DF seems a little smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Spewnz View Post
                        Hey ItsaBass Schaller makes satin chrome covers.
                        I am aware of this, however, they are not a match. This batch of covers much have been custom ordered by Dean just for the Professional series (about 10 years ago). Besides, the original covers match the age of the guitar (wear and tear) as well. The goal here is obviously to keep the guitar looking stock, since it is such a great looking axe.
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Entwistle Neck Humbuckers are 50mm.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                            my new Gibson dirty fingers seem to be 50mm, at least the bridge one is. I have heard the Gibson neck pickups are usually 50 too. my DF seems a little smaller.
                            Nope, Gibsons are 49.2 also.

You have to go import for 50 mm, Bareknuckle, Schaller, most stuff Altec makes (GFS, Entwistle), Ibanez, and I've seen 50 mm Peavey pickups.

Comment

I'm thinking that at $85 a piece, rewinds might be the way to go here.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X