Looking for the right single coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the right single coil

Hey everyone. I'm starting a new project and trying to figure out what kind of pickups to throw in. The guitar is a les Paul copy, but decent quality. I'm very familiar with Duncan humbuckers but I've never used an SD single coil. I've always gravitated towards high gain pickups but this one is going to be the black sheep in my collection.

So basically, I wanna throw a single coil in the neck on this LP and I'm looking for some opinions from those who go for a nice vintage sound.
    "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Re: Looking for the right single coil

Ok so wait is this thing already routed for a humbucker in the neck position or can you throw in whatever you want at this point?

Comment

Also, what I'm really looking for is an aggressive, guttural, organic sort of sound. If that makes any kind of sense. My usual playing is very high gain and and uniform tone, and I'm looking for really the opposite of that. Something that will be very responsive to picking nuances.
      "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
        Ok so wait is this thing already routed for a humbucker in the neck position or can you throw in whatever you want at this point?
        It's routed for a humbucker but I'm probably going to get an adapter "ring" .. not really interested in a p90.

Comment

I guess the antiquities would work for what you're going for.

Comment

Well the Phat Staple would do if the route is deep enough (it isn't).

Comment

Get the Stag Mag http://www.seymourduncan.com/product.../sh3_stag_mag/ and only use half of it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'm going with the Stag Mag. Would give me some awesome versatility and I could just drop it in as it's already routed for the hb. I'm very excited, this pickup sounds awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X