Pickup Change suggestions for Jackson Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Change suggestions for Jackson Soloist

I may be acquiring a USA Jackson Soloist humbucker guitar. Im not sure if Im going to pull the trigger but I really like this guitar after playing it. Its got JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck. This is an OK combo for me. Actually the JB in the bridge is the best Ive heard for a Jb. in other words, I think the JB sounds the best in this guitar that is has in any guitar that ive heard that pup. It really cuts but doesnt quite have the meat or nastiness that I want out of a guitar like this. this will be a straight metal guitar if I get it. Ive got a DD laying around that I may put in it. Im also thinking maybe black winters or patb pickups to go in this beast. Ive got 59/jazz neck laying around that I will probably put in the neck unless someone changes my mind. I want passive for sure. No actives. Throw me some suggestions if you will! Cheers!!

Re: Pickup Change suggestions for Jackson Soloist

A new guitar doesn't require new pickups. I think a JB is probably about as good as you will do in a Super Strat. The 59 is also a great pickup.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

If you want more beef slide an Alnico 8 Mag in the JB....

Comment

I have a USA SL1 Soloist, myself, and as far as I know, it has a JB in the bridge (I keep forgetting to pull it to check when I change strings). I agree that the JB sounds decent in a Soloist, but still lacks something. I also have two Dinkys woth JBs in the bridge, but the JBs in those guitars sound a little snottier. It's almost like the neck through design of the Soloist refines the tone to the point that it makes the JB sound rather pedestrian.

I guess I would try the Distortion you have laying around, and if you like it but want an even brighter top end, then I would try a Black Winter.

As far as my Soloist goes, I'm not really sure what pickups I want to put in there. I'm leaning towards a Perpetual Burn at the moment, but I have other guitars at the moment that need pickups worse than the Soloist.
        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I have a Jackson as well. I pulled the JB/59 our of it. The JB wasn't bad, just didn't have the "umph" I need as I play a lot of metal as well. Since then I've used the big Custom, PATB-2 and now a Black Winter in the bridge. The PATB-2 is hard to beat, althoug I'm really liking the Black Winter so far as well. Either will work and both will offer you some versatility. Try the PATB though. It doesn't get enough recommendations imo, and it is a GREAT pick up.
          Last edited by Jeff5; 03-31-2014, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Try the DD first I'd say. Worked great in my Jackson for adding a little beef in the lower mids whilst tightening the low end. Should pair nicely with the '59 neck.

Comment

I'll try the distortion since i have it. Im worried it will be too bright in this guitar. I really want to try black winters but im afraid they will be too bright as well. The Jb sounds ok. Im just not in love with that pickup. I guess ive decided on DD mayhem set, patb 1 and 2, or black winters. Any feedback on these pickups with this guitar would help. Thanks

Comment

I don't think the Black Winter's are too bright. The DD is way brighter. However, if that's a concern, the PATB-2 may be the answer. It is very balanced.

Comment

What kind of sound are you going for? How about an Invader for something different?
                  -IM

Comment

Full Shred worked great in my Jackson too. Had a sweeter lead tone than the DD imo. Little less hot than a JB though, but considerably tighter and smoother.
                    But, since you already have a DD laying around I'd still say start right there.

Comment

JB

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a distortion in a Jackson for several years when I was on more of a metal kick. I've gone back to the JB since it is more versatile. Either works well with a Jazz neck.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                          JB

Sent from my armored battle station using Tapatalk
                          Did you even read what he wrote?
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I dont like the JB. Its hot and the sound is in the direction that I want, But has no low end meat at all to me and has that stupid nasally sound that just wont go away no matter what guitar I play it in. I am afraid that the DD will be too bright for this guitar and it was good to hear that the Winters are not as bright as the Distortion because I love the DD in all mahogany/rosewood but did not care for it in brighter guitars with ebony. I think ive narrowed it down to patb or the winters. I would just throw in the ole reliable custom but ive already got my les paul loaded with that and want a different flavor.

Comment

Working...
                            X